Use thread-mount drill chuck on lathe/drill press?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Use thread-mount drill chuck on lathe/drill press?

Post by earlgo »

Are there edge finders made with a 3/4" body diameter?
I agree with the "No-one complains if it is too strong." theory, but the point that I was making about a small drill chuck with a 1/2" shank was that it was interchangeable with an edge finder (so it would be more efficient to spot holes).

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote:Are there edge finders made with a 3/4" body diameter?
I agree with the "No-one complains if it is too strong." theory, but the point that I was making about a small drill chuck with a 1/2" shank was that it was interchangeable with an edge finder (so it would be more efficient to spot holes).

--earlgo
Why one would use a collet for the edge finder would be the better question. That's not to say that it doesn't work, but why would it be necessary when the drill chuck does an admirable job, and would be used to drill the holes, anyway? With a chuck, you're already providing the required clearance (for the drills), so using a collet for the edge finder could be counterproductive (thinking of round column mill/drill here). If it does nothing else, it may demand raising the knee to use the edge finder, then dropping the knee what installing the drill chuck, providing the needed working clearance for the drills.

Run-out of a drill chuck in no way alters the ability of an edge finder to function properly. A collet isn't required, aside from holding the chuck.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Excellent points all.
My milling world is tipped 90° from the vertical, so I have a different set of problems and sometimes it confuses me.
I am continuing to learn but it is a struggle.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Believe me, I understand. I've spent some time on a horizontal, albeit many years ago. They're a nice machine, but not nearly as convenient for some operations, like drilling. A small wonder that drop spindle vertical mills have enjoyed so much success.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.