Perfecto Hand Operated Shaper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steve_in_Mich

Perfecto Hand Operated Shaper

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

This item came up on Craigslist recently and I thought it a neat piece of machinery, something I hadn't seen before. Perhaps it will be of interest to some of you here. It has a 5" stroke. I think with the addition of a small rotary it could be useful for scribing divisions on knobs or dials in addition to normal shaping duties where hand control would be a plus. It has an automatic cross-feed mechanism and a 3 "T" slot table. Here are the pictures posted with the ad.
Attachments
Perfecto 5 Shaper  1.jpg
Perfecto 5 Shaper  2.jpg
Perfecto 5 Shaper  3.jpg
Perfecto 5 Shaper  4.jpg
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Inspector

Re: Perfecto Hand Operated Shaper

Post by Inspector »

Thats cool, and you can play with it in the middle of the night without even the lightest sleeper being bothered. How much would they be asking for it?

Pete
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hard to imagine "cute" as applying to a machine tool, but this one certainly deserves it !!

If I saw something like that for sale, I'd dislocate my arm reaching for my wallet.
Pete in NJ
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

He is asking $350. obo

It's located in Midland, Michigan (it says) here is the link to the ad if you're interested.

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/4657733185.html
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Too bad, but that's unhappily too far from north-central New Joizey. (Maybe not TOO unhappily, since the Chancellor of the Exchequer has been cutting up cranky about my continuing tool acquisition.)
Pete in NJ
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Pete in NJ, hope there is no permanent damage to the arm.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

My wife is from Leicester, this actually made her smile, and it wouldn't hurt my arm.....now I have a great way to acquire more tools....just make up "Made in Leicester" plates and fix to anything I want... got lots of brass sheet, etching mask, and acid from our jewelry days...... :twisted:

That's a very nice tool, very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Not much more money to get a Atlas or South Bend. That arm cranking can get old in a hurry. Think of all the guys getting VFD's so they don't have to change belts on their J head BP's!

John Friend
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I have never seen one for that little money, grab it quick. If nothing more resell it on ebay. there are people out there that love those things. usually go for a grand or better. Brits especially go for those, I wouldnt mind having one myself although i would probably just look at it. I have heard that they work better than you would think. kind of theroputic.
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

I have a hand cranked shaper that I purchased about 15 years ago in England for something like 50 pounds. It does not have a vertical slide other than the tool slide, so it's very limited on height. It does automatically crossfeed with each stroke, and by moving a pin, the feed is reversed. I jacked it up with 1" square bars so a vice could be used. I don't use it much, but every now and then it comes in handy. Sorry for the cluttered pics, but they're what I have handy. You can do some real work with it - I made a 9" extension to my 7x10 lathe starting with a steel weldment. It did take a lot of cranking!
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

If asked, "What machines can be operated by hand?", a shaper is about the last thing that would cross my mind. Still, those are really cute and if I ever came across one I'd be hard pressed to keep my wallet closed.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."