Worth trying carbide on a mill/drill?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jawn

Worth trying carbide on a mill/drill?

Post by Jawn »

Would either carbide insert end mills or solid carbide end mills be beneficial in a mill/drill (2hp) , or would I do best sticking to HSS? I don't have a particular project in mind yet, other than just trying different things to see what works and what doesn't.

I understand there's different inserts / geometry for different materials, so that turns into a good pile of money for carbide tooling. Worth trying?
SteveHGraham

Re: Worth trying carbide on a mill/drill?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't see why it would matter. You can get relatively cheap resharpened end mills on Ebay, but don't expect nominal diameters.

Sometimes Enco lets them go cheap.

It's pretty annoying when one chips.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Start with HSS and learn learn learn.any slop and carbide snaps. When you are confident of things then try it

Depending on the mill you may not have adequate spindle speed. Again. More learning
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

What hammermill said is worth a few hundred dollars of chipped carbide.
Have broken a few making dumb mistakes, no problem now that the mistakes rate is lower.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX