Atlas Lathe Crossfeed Miter Gear Key Repair

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Atlas Lathe Crossfeed Miter Gear Key Repair

Post by John Evans »

The old 30s Atlas I picked up week before last came with a box of extra parts. That lathe did not have power crossfeed and in the extra bits was a miter gear with the usual worn out key. Just for grins I thought I would try a repair on it. The only "special" tool you really need is a 1/8 broach and 3/4" bushing to fit the broach. The rest could be done with a DP or even a hand drill. I thought I would be clever and super glue the key in to hold it in place while I drilled and tapped for a 4-40 brass screw. That idea worked less than steller you could say . :oops: Ended up using a small machinist's clamp anyway. Take a look at the pictures ,the mount already has had a bronze bush put into it ,I didn't do that. If any of you Atlas owners could use these bits PM me ,$15 for postage and a cheap lunch and they are yours.
Attachments
Quick switch & albrech 005.JPG
Quick switch & albrech 006.JPG
Quick switch & albrech 008.JPG
www.chaski.com
Lenny

Re: Atlas Lathe Crossfeed Miter Gear Key Repair

Post by Lenny »

I need one of these. Your post it old but it’s worth a shot.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well 6 years later I don't have a clue if I sold that or what ,all I know it ain't around here no mo. As I remember was fairly easy repair if you have the broach and bushing. Was more trouble figuring the how than doing the job. that striped key was a common failure on well used Atlas lathes.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Clausing Corporation may still have a few parts for the Atlas.
That would be:
CLAUSING INDUSTRIAL, INC.
3963 Emerald Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49001

https://clausing-industrial.com/machine ... las-lathes
Take your checkbook...
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.