Another Welder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

thegallery

Another Welder

Post by thegallery »

I really did not need another welder. I guess I am old, old school, the Mig has its place but I still like the old AC stick machine for heavier welding. I picked up this 50? year old Miller Thunderbolt 225 for a reasonable price. I disassembled it, cleaned, did some minor repair, and painted it. After reassembling it I gave her a try and it works like a champ. Next I will build a mobile carriage for it using her for the welding. I really don't need three welders, but.............
Attachments
miller022.jpg
redneckalbertan

Re: Another Welder

Post by redneckalbertan »

You did a great job fixing it up. It looks great!
warmstrong1955

Re: Another Welder

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Looks like a new one! Nice job!
What's wrong with three welders? I have three welders???
I know what you're saying. I MIG little stuff in the shop, and do the bigger stuff with stick outside. Lot of wind here, an no problems with stick welding in the wind. MIG doesn't work so well with much of a breeze.
Friend had one of those Millers, that he put a Linde high-freq unit on. (I had the same unit on a Lincoln) Combination Cracker-Box & TIG.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.