Steels that turn easily (other than 12L14)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Steels that turn easily (other than 12L14)

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Sorry....didn't look at your location before I suggested Speedy Metals. Not sure if they ship to Canada....and if they do, do they do it well.

Machining 1045 is quite similar to 4140.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hsnyder

Post by hsnyder »

no problem.

So it sounds like 1045 won't be much fun to turn either with HSS bits on my small lathe. Alright, well 1144 it is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote:
Harold_V wrote:My experiences dictate that there's a false cutting edge readily built up on the tool bit, which, in turn, tends to tear the parent material. If you run fast enough, that's not an issue, but that requires the use of carbide and a rather robust machine.
Can you reduce the build up by polishing the tool bit?

I've seen highly polished inserts for aluminum, but can you do it with HSS?

Steve
Polishing (honing) helps, but the problem can still exist. Even good lubrication doesn't solve the riddle, although in the day of 1,1,1-Trichloroethane, performance was improved significantly.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

hsnyder wrote:no problem.

So it sounds like 1045 won't be much fun to turn either with HSS bits on my small lathe. Alright, well 1144 it is!
Hold on there Tex......

Small lathe....small parts....what's the big deal? Best to play with some of this stuff & figure it all out. Some steels/alloys are easier than others, some are down right a CPA, but don't bale on any cuz you hear they are not user friendly.

If I did that....I pretty much wouldn't build anything..... if the results aren't what you expected....ask questions to folks (lot of 'em here on this board) that have been there & done that.... It's amazing what you can do with speeds & feeds, tool grinds & angle......

And....you get smarter....

Just sayin'.....

:)
Bill
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Small lathe....small parts....what's the big deal? Best to play with some of this stuff & figure it all out. Some steels/alloys are easier than others, some are down right a CPA, but don't bale on any cuz you hear they are not user friendly.
I agree. If the alloy makes no difference, sure, use something that's nice to machine---but if you have need for some of the tough stuff, even something like heat treated 4140, 17-4PH stainless or 440C stainless, go for it. It's all about learning how to cope with the various materials. Each experience will be beneficial for you in the learning curve. None of these materials are fun to machine just because the machine is larger---the same problems exist.

Don't get the idea that carbide is a magic cure-all for machining. It simply isn't so, at least in many circumstances. Case in point. I recently had to turn an item from an unknown alloy, which I thought to be stainless. I had a miserable time with carbide, so I switched to HSS and eliminated the problems I was having. You run at slower spindle speeds, but you can still take respectable cuts, especially if you're adept at grinding proper turning tools, which really spells the difference.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

What Harold said.....he just said it better than me!

:D
Bill
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Remember the old saying- it's not the gun, it's the gunner? Same applies here also.
hsnyder

Post by hsnyder »

Indeed, fair enough. I suppose its just that my experience with mystery mild has been bad enough to make me want to go for something that is more likely to machine nicely. But I really like 1045 and 4140. I'd prefer to use them, if I can get it working.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

hsnyder wrote:Indeed, fair enough. I suppose its just that my experience with mystery mild has been bad enough to make me want to go for something that is more likely to machine nicely. But I really like 1045 and 4140. I'd prefer to use them, if I can get it working.
I think as long as you stay away from the steel racks in Crappy Tire or hardware stores & stick to a decent steel supplier, you'll be OK.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I make a lot of parts, primarily for mining equipment. Most of the material I use, is 4140/4142 Q&T (Pre-hard) and 1045, some 4130.
I build the bosses that hold the bearings & bushings for equipment. Either A36, or A572 gr50.

I can tell ya, I much prefer to work with the alloys than the low carbon steels.
Mild steel is not as user freindly as one would think, at least, that's what I found.
The alloys are harder, and tougher on tooling, but a lot easier to get a nice finish on. You should play around with some different alloys, and tooling, and tool geometry. Bet you find what I did.

Bill
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

It's still good to have some techniques to machine bad steel. Use tools with a lot of rake and an animal or vegetable based oil like Cool Tool II. The commercial ones won't go rancid as quickly as home brew. Try finishing with a shear tool. The surface should look almost like you ground it. Look at the tool grinds in the old Southbend books.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

revrnd wrote:I think as long as you stay away from the steel racks in Crappy Tire or hardware stores & stick to a decent steel supplier, you'll be OK.
Heh!

I'm not so sure. I have yet to meet a piece of mild steel that is easy to machine, and the source seems to make little difference. What I have found is that hot rolled is worse than cold rolled, but neither of them turn without tearing. Turn to screw machine stock or leaded steels and it's a whole different world. Low carbon steel, by its nature, isn't fun to machine.

Harold