Atlas 10-12" Cross Feed Bevel Gear ?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Atlas 10-12" Cross Feed Bevel Gear ?

Post by John Evans »

Edit : Looks like 3/16 from measuring my dead one. Stay tuned as I'm going to see what I can do today.

In that collection of Atlas parts that I have for sale there is one of those bevel gears that has the key 90% wore off . I think I will try a repair on same if anyone can tell me the width and height of that key. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,John
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Re: Atlas 10-12" Cross Feed Bevel Gear ? Update

Post by John Evans »

Well it is doable but I think the key inside the gear is smaller than 3/16 ,I was trying to work off what's left in a well worn one. I broached a keyway and super glued in a piece of key stock and while it was clamped drilled and tapped 2 4X40 holes. Broke off 1 tap through my own dumbness!! So I still would like to know the key demensions ,just the keyway measurments in the leadscrew would help.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Re: Atlas 10-12" Cross Feed Bevel Gear ?

Post by SteveM »

I get 1/8" wide and 1/16" from the crests of the screw to the bottom of the slot.

That's for a 1953 12x36.

Steve
John Evans

Re: Atlas 10-12" Cross Feed Bevel Gear ?

Post by John Evans »

OK Steve that tells me it's a 1/8 key . I'll use the other miter gear and see how things work putting in a 1/8 key. Wasn't too fussy doing a 3/16th key. May have to make a broach bushing ,but seems like 50% keyways I broach need a bushing I don't have.
Many thanks,John
www.chaski.com