Ball turning attachment.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toglhot

Ball turning attachment.

Post by toglhot »

This is a ball turning attachment I made. I used a vertical slide on my lathe for miilling operations. I wanted a turner that I could mount in the tool post and one that could be used either in front or behind the works. Adjustment is via a sliding post locked in place by an allen screw. It will turn balls up 50mm. Like a lot of tools I've made for the lathe I don't really have much use for it but it was a fun project and works well.
Attachments
ball5.jpg
ball4.jpg
ball3.jpg
spro

Re: Ball turning attachment.

Post by spro »

It sure works differently than what is familiar. That is often a good thing. Any pix of it in use ?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

spro wrote:It sure works differently than what is familiar. That is often a good thing. Any pix of it in use ?
Yes, please.
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

I've never really used the thing except for trial runs after it was finished. You know the deal, simply must have one! This is the only picture I could find of his one.
Attachments
ball1.jpg
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Here's so more pictures I found.
Attachments
ball2.jpg
ball3.jpg
ball4.jpg
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I like that design.
spro

Post by spro »

I like it too, John, Togl. Notice the first pic appears the lathe spindle would be running reverse. It may be running normal when the tool is below the centerline. Altogether it is describing a circle and interesting.
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Forward when the tool is in front of the stock, reverse when the tool is behind the stock.