My Hercus 9 Restoration.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wm460

My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Post by wm460 »

Finally got a nice cool day for a change, only 41°C.

So I thought I would start cleaning up my Hercus 9 and try and keep the missus happy.

I saw this lathe advertise in Alice Springs in a recycling yard ( Alice is the closest town 500 Km away) in March last year, I only wanted the stand for my Hercus 260, but when I picked it up I found out it was an Hercus ARL.

When I bought her home, I had to dismantle her to get her off the trailer and stacked the parts on an obsolete hospital bed, 6 month later I transferred to a different department at work so bought home my bench that I originally took there because it was too big for my shed.

For some reason the missus is keeps whinging about 2 lathes, a hospital bed and a bench on the back veranda, strange woman.
Attachments
Messaging1520225984481.jpg
Messaging1520225991098.jpg
DSC_2472 (Custom).JPG
wm460

Re: My Hercus 9 Restoration.

Post by wm460 »

Inside the cabinet amongst the swarf, rust, cobwebs and dirt., I found these goodies.
As well as the spare parts manual with the inspection certificate inside it.
Attachments
DSC_2465 (Custom).JPG
wm460

Post by wm460 »

Just a couple of photo showing the crap in her.
DSC_0134.JPG
DSC_2604.JPG
Bit of a difference.
DSC_0136.JPG
wm460

Post by wm460 »

After I strip it back to bare metal, primed it with a kill rust primer, what further steps do I take before painting?

I am hoping the South Bend owner will be able to help mt with this restoration.

What is the best way to straighten this door?
Approx 3mm thick.
DSC_0140.JPG
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Hello down under! I never heard of a Hercus lathe, but looking at the pictures, it looks a lot like an Atlas lathe made in the U.S.A. with the flat ways. Can you tell me where the lathe was made? Just curious.

I did a Google search and found that it is made in Australia. It looks like a very well built machine. I'm sure, once you get it up and running, it will give you good service.

Straightening the door is always difficult, once the metal gets creased. You can get it pretty straight by heating the area where the metal is creased and encouraging it with a hammer, but it won't be perfect. Maybe spot welding some flatbar reinforcing in an "X" pattern will keep it flat.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I learnt to machine on that model Lathe back in 1966 at a Perth high school, great lathe.
Bought one years later and gave excellent service, made in Adelaide, direct copy of South Bend, parts readily available at Fiora Machinery in Perth.
Good luck with the Resto.
wm460

Post by wm460 »

Mr Ron, The lathe is Hercus made in Adelaide, about 45 min from my home town.
The company is still there but the dont make lathe any more.

http://www.hercus.com.au/

ARMSCOR 1, You have a better memory than me, I can only remember that they were a green colour, I think they might have been Hercus 260?
Thanks for the info about Fiora Machinery will contact them when they open.