clausing colchester VS 12-36

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gaston

clausing colchester VS 12-36

Post by gaston »

Hi
Been a long time since I posted here .I lurk a lot but usually don't have much to say, (till know)
I have become the proud owner of a not so good Clausing colchester vari speed 12" x36 ex-school lathe
I don't know why all the manuals and tooling are always missing from school shop tools! And :roll: after getting it home its clear
there was little cleaning during its "tour of duty" and lubrication,, if any came from cutting oil spilled on it ! No wonder the button pushers coming from most school shops are all most useless as machinests. (it got replaced by a cnc machine)
Enough soap box.
what I need is help with setting the machine up on a VFD. I have 2 other 3 phase machines on their own VFDs so the basic hook up and programing is no sweat. BUT this lathe has a electric engage clutch/brake (like an auto a/c clutch) and I can't figure how to wire it,or how to power it. I have no wiring diagram or manual for this lathe and in the builders wisdom all the control wiring is the same color and unmarked (red ) The motor wiring 220 3 ph is also unmarked but easier to figure out.
and if you haven't guessed by now I'm not the greatest at not letting the smoke out!
So if anyone wishes to chime in with words of wisdom, a copy of a manual for this machine or how to drive the electric clutch
you will be raised to the class of sainthood in my book

thanks gaston (john)
spro

Re: clausing colchester VS 12-36

Post by spro »

There are Clausing Colchesters which are 13" and had two speed motors basic and some with electrical vari-speed. Get the actual model number ie 6526, 8xxx and you'll find specific manuals available on Ebay .Ozarkwoodworker's manuals are particularly nice.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have a 13" Clausing Colchester that I converted to VFD. I also retained the front controls. I can help you out with it.
What is the model number? Can you send some really good pictures of the control box?

Also, FDK3, in Texas is a very good resource for parts.

Jim B
gaston

Post by gaston »

Hi Guys
thank for the replies. I have the lathe all disassembled for clean up and paint. I haven't found what I would call a "model #
or other ID other than what I think is the Serial # (0003/00030)?? I'll add pic's when I get them off my phone.
I need help with the wiring to the VFD . This lathe has an electric clutch, I assume set when the power is applied to the lathe, and disengaged by a micro switch from the brake bar.
I think I'll have to figure out how to power the transformer (wires to the clutch seem to come off a 110 tap on a transformer in the control panel to drive the clutch ,but don't have a clue how to do it with or around the VFD
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The clutch doesn't necessarily have to run off 3 phase. It can be from any source.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

The clutch is single phase, but, to run of the VFD, you may need to interface it to the VFD with a relay or two.

Jim B
gaston

Post by gaston »

Ok I'm Back
have the lathe cleaned up, repaired (the apron rack had 3 teeth torn off when someone let the taper attachment run into the spindle brake cover ! I "fixed" it by shorting the rack,moved it forward and fitted the stripped teeth part to the back end where it will likely never be used. Some day when I have time I'll silver solder the teeth up and recut them .

Some one suggested I call Clausing and see if they have info on my lathe. Boy were they on top of it. talked to a nice lady and 5 Minutes later I had a copy of the correct manual !! its a ClausingColchester VS 12" and you can't beat free!.
closest thing on the Tony UK lathe site is the colchester Colt VS 12" Looks the same except the hand wheel on the US version is on the left and the thread dial is in the apron
There are no other issues with it. the clutch works good, the brake looks new as does the VS drive works good, and the VS and drive belts show no measurable wear.
I got a VFD (Huangyang) for it and have run the motor with it, sounds good and smooth as silk. The only thing I have left to do is figure out the wiring for the clutch, replace the wipers with felts, and paint the base. The lathe and pan are painted pre 65 ford tractor gray ( not even to the cap color in the can) so it turned out a cream/yellow/lt gray,slight green color (it will grow on me) so I'll do the base with a dark gray or blue

I'll post pics when I get them off my phone and resized
gaston

Post by gaston »

2014-11-19 10.58.49.jpg
2014-11-19 10.58.36.jpg
2014-11-19 10.59.22.jpg
Its finished!
the Clausing-colchester VS 12" (only name or description) I could find for it is done
and here are the pic's as promised.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Looks good!
Don Young
stevec

Post by stevec »

Gaston, It DOES look good. I noticed what appears to be a Huanyang VFD. I've been slowly struggling with the Chinstructions for mine.
it's a HY04D023B. I got it to enable me to change the single phase head motor back to the original 3 ph motor on my Tree mill.
There hasn't been a high priority on the switch but now that winter's about here there's less pressure to do outdoor projects.
Anyway if you'd like to exchange experiences with me regarding the VFD please PM me and we can exchange e-mails and avoid cluttering the forum with our babble.
Steve