QCTP Question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sledjunk

QCTP Question

Post by sledjunk »

I am new on here and also very new to using a lathe.

I recently purchased a Busy Bee CX706 10 x 22 lathe and I am just learning to use it. I am interested in purchasing a QCTP for it, but there does not seem to be one that is recommended to fit it.

I was told by Busy Bee that the model " B3151 may work with some modification". Does anyone know what level of modification might be required or any other QCTP that may fit?

Thanks in advance.
OlderNewbie

Re: QCTP Question

Post by OlderNewbie »

Assuming a conventional compound slide T-slot, an AXA-style toolpost should fit a 10" lathe. Virtually all of them need to have the T-nut cut to fit your lathe's T-slot. There might be someone on the board willing to help you out; knowing approximately where you are would help.

John
sledjunk

Post by sledjunk »

Thanks, John. I have added my location to my profile.

I will take a look at the AXA style toolposts.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Using a 3/8" tool in an AXA QCTP setup the lowest you can get the cutting edge would be 11/16" above the compound rest surface. The highest would be 1 9/16".

That should give you an idea of how it would work for you.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
sledjunk

Post by sledjunk »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Using a 3/8" tool in an AXA QCTP setup the lowest you can get the cutting edge would be 11/16" above the compound rest surface. The highest would be 1 9/16".

That should give you an idea of how it would work for you.
Thanks and good info. To clarify, though, is the minimum 1 and 1/16 or 11/16?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Eleven/sixteenths. 11/16". Just measured a couple of mine

1-1/16" would be one & one/sixteenth.

:)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks Bill!

Didn't want to get caught up in the caliper inaccuracy debate, and didn't want to get a depth mic out...so I used a tape measure to check it. :D
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
spro

Post by spro »

You have been given a window line for a 3/8" tool set flat. Lathes vary and often a Qc post plus the actual toolholder raises the tool above the center line at the lowest setting. That means you can modify to some amount the base of the post but usually the toolholders so they can hold either 5/16" or 3/8" tools.
It can be done with HSS blanks which are ground to half their depth but at some point it could be a mess because some lathes have little swing at the compound.
I was getting way ahead of your measurements. I hope one will work out for you.
sledjunk

Post by sledjunk »

Thanks guys. I went to the HO store of Busy Bee today and was guided by a retired machinist working there to the unit that would fit with fairly easy modifications.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

sledjunk wrote:Thanks guys. I went to the HO store of Busy Bee today and was guided by a retired machinist working there to the unit that would fit with fairly easy modifications.
Good!
schor

Post by schor »

Not sure what busy bee your going to but you might want to checkout accusize tools, they are in markham and have better prices and I think better product than busybee.
Steve
Check out http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes on YouTube.
sledjunk

Post by sledjunk »

I work in Markham, so i am going to have to check out accusize. Thanks for the tip!