QCTP Question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Re: QCTP Question

Post by revrnd »

schor wrote:you might want to checkout accusize tools, they are in markham and have better prices and I think better product than busybee.
I hadn't heard of them, I'll have to check it the next time I'm in the area.
spro

Post by spro »

What I said was wrong in some ways and should be explained. When either a turret or QC post is used there is a platform which is fixed. It is all going to that and I was somewhere else. I could not say that QC toolholders present a higher point than the old toolholders . It is that, in their case, They could be tilted way below the centerline and if ground correctly, the bit approaches the center with appropriate shape . I didn't see that flexibility with the newer types. It can't be as flexible towards and around things as before. So that clouds my thinking while acknowledging that these new tools are great.
charlton

Post by charlton »

Did you ever get a QCTP for your lathe? I recently bought the same lathe but I would prefer one of the more conventional Aloris-style QCTPs (AXA size). The boss on the top-slide seems rather unusual in that it has a sleeve that's about 22mm (in diameter) by 13mm tall with a "screw" (what they call axle) that is about 10mm. The standard Aloris post seems to have a 9/16" hole. Machining the top-slide isn't going to be doable for me because it's too big for the mini-lathe that I have access to so I'm hoping for some other way to adapt the QCTP to the lathe. At least one other person has approached this with a sleeve mechanism (http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheQCTP.htm) but I'm a bit undecided on which way to proceed.

Thanks,
Charlton
Attachments
IMG_20160325_145807908.jpg
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

What sucks is cutting the T-nut down when you don't have a mill. I put a cutter in my lathe chuck and fastened the nut to the cross slide.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I mounted a Phase II (Aloris clone) QCTP to the lathe of a Grizzly G9729 combo machine that came equipped with a turret style tool post with a 12 mm stud. I was reluctant to mill out as much as would be needed on the cross-slide/vise for the 9/16" T-bolt that comes with the Unit (and it was a little too short anyway by the time I added a riser block to get to the centerline).

I bought a 1/2" hardened T-bolt from Enco (6-inch length) and milled the 12 mm out to 1/2. Milled down the T-nut to the slot width, and I made a sleeve from a piece of 3/8" galvanized pipe nipple in the lathe. I just drilled the center out and then turned the outer diameter down to a fairly snug (but not press) fit, hack sawed to final length and dressed on a sanding belt. That steel is quite soft, but it fills the gap nicely and the whole assembly is rigid enough when you tighten the nut down.

Well, it is more rigid than the original tool post anyway. I haven't seen the need to use the original nut yet. The lathe only has a 3/4 horsepower motor, so I can't do really big jobs anyway.

So, that is a possible solution.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I a not familiar with your lathe, but it seems it has an European type of tool post. I own a Cazeneuve that uses and "axle" or a bolt shaft, to mount the QCTP. I can install every thing from a AXA up to a CXA tool post onto the lathe. Because the threaded hole in the compound is 3/4", I make threaded sleeves for the tool holder's bolt shaft. The AXA sized QCTP, that I have, uses a 1/2", the BXA uses a 5/8" and the CXA uses a 3/4" bolt shaft.

You could make a bolt shaft, with a 10mm bottom section and a 1/2" upper section, to mount an AXA sized QCTP to that lathe. If you bought an AXA sized QCTP you could turn the bottom section of the bolt shaft, that came with it, to 10mm major diameter and run a 10mm die on it. Or you could single point cut the thread onto the end of the bolt bolt shaft.

Just a thought.

Here is a link, to the post of the mounting project I did.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... &start=312
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
sledjunk

Post by sledjunk »

charlton wrote:Did you ever get a QCTP for your lathe? I recently bought the same lathe but I would prefer one of the more conventional Aloris-style QCTPs (AXA size). The boss on the top-slide seems rather unusual in that it has a sleeve that's about 22mm (in diameter) by 13mm tall with a "screw" (what they call axle) that is about 10mm. The standard Aloris post seems to have a 9/16" hole. Machining the top-slide isn't going to be doable for me because it's too big for the mini-lathe that I have access to so I'm hoping for some other way to adapt the QCTP to the lathe. At least one other person has approached this with a sleeve mechanism (http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheQCTP.htm) but I'm a bit undecided on which way to proceed.

Thanks,
Charlton
I ended up with the QCTP that Busy Bee recommended (see first post). It had an opening in the bottom for a sleeve as you described, but needed to be larger. I found a small machine shop (Peak Velocity in Claremont) who bored out the base to the 22 mm required and to the proper depth. I also made a spacer about 1/2 inch thick to fir on top of the QCTP so that the lever nut would not bottom out.

I just got this through the winter so I haven't had a chance to do anything other than fit it, so far. Sledding season, don't ya know :-)