Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

Post by John Evans »

As I said last week in the General I decided to spend some money and get a Miltifix setup for my 12" lathe. Placed the order 1-12 and the order showed up today 1-18 moving right along from China via DHL. It hit my door at 3PM and was on the lathe by 4PM.
The post and holders seem well made and sloted together nicely . I took a trial cut of .060 depth of cut and everything did what it was suspost to do. Two things I did notice ,one none of the tool holders have the V groove like you can get with the Aloris style to hold boring bars, I think I will see if I can cut a groove using a carbide cutter. If not I have a narrow diamond wheel that I can use on my surface grinder. Two: The parting tool holder does not have guide pins on the movable clamping piece like the Genuine Swiss made one does. I'm going to see if I can make some improvement there.
Bottom line given the price difference between the Swiss or German made tools I'm well satisfied, enought so that I ordered 3 more holders tonight. Pictures show what I received today and a comparison to a AXA post that this stuff is replacing.
John
Attachments
toolpost 001.JPG
toolpost 002.JPG
www.chaski.com
RSG

Re: Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

Post by RSG »

Nice John,

The tool holders look nice but are they expensive as I'm up to 26 at the moment.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Here is a link to Create tool, most of the "A" series holders are in the $32 range.
http://www.createtool.com/index.asp
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Unless you don't mind destroying your diamond wheel, lose the idea of using it on steel. That is not acceptable, as diamond is dissolved by steel at high temperatures (like when you grind). A CBN wheel would be satisfactory, as would an aluminum oxide wheel.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Ah ! Thanks Harold !! That fact is known to me but got lost somewhere in the clutter of my so called brain.
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That happens to me all the time.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

John, did you see this holder: AH2085?
http://www.createtool.com/article.asp?id=57

Oh, never mind. I see it right there in your photo. That is the one for boring bars, then?

I suspect you will be having a sale soon ;)
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

JE. I was torn between knowing that you wouldn't recommend this system if it didn't work and comparing its benefits to the other. I was thinking how "pins" could be the ultimate holder then see it is a series. These multiple concentric areas impart a grip. I'm still trying to understand how the tool holder is restrained and the index function.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

There are splines around the tool holder and matching splines on the tool holder that stop rotation.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

It seems there is an eccentric that forces the clam-shell grip around the outside to pull the tool holder against the splined tool post. The splined contact area is large so the force would be spread out over that large area and would seem to provide a very rigid mounting.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yep the hex head on the right end of the post is an excentric,rotating it pulls the 2 clam shell halfs to lock the holder to the post. You can see the pins on each of the shell halfs that engage with holes on the holders. Does not take a lot of force to lock things up very tight.
www.chaski.com
Splat

Post by Splat »

Sorry to necropost this guys. I'm looking at the Create Multifix clone for my 12x36 G4003G. John, how's the "A" series size working for you? I'm trying to decide which one to go with...A series or E series. Lastly, after all this time would you recommend the Multifix setup? Thanks.