Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Review of Multifix Toolpost from Create Tool.

Post by John Evans »

The "A" works well on my 12X36 using everything from 1/4 to 5/8s shank tools. As far as I'm concerned Multifix is the only way to go. If my cash flow was a bit better right now I would be ordering another "A" set and 4-5 extra holders for my recently acquired SB Heavy 10. I would order at least 4-5 extra holders ,I have 14 if memory serves on the 12X36 machine. Not QC if you are always changing tools !!!
www.chaski.com
Splat

Post by Splat »

Thank you John! I finally found a diagram of the "A" and "E" series posts which helps determine the sizing for the lathe. From what you say and the diagrams it looks like the "A" series is my best bet. Also, the "E" series holders are more $. Gonna put my order in now. Thanks again!
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Splat: Say HI to Nina for me ! She is very helpful and Create does not screw around getting things shipped.
www.chaski.com
Splat

Post by Splat »

Will do! Thanks again! Oh, and I ordered the "A" series with a few extra holders. Waiting sucks! LOL!
Splat

Post by Splat »

Well, I got the invoice from Nina @ Create Tool but admittedly got cold feet before pushing the Paypal button! :roll: In the meantime I found some guys complaining about the parting/cutoff tool holder from Create ("AT" model) saying they either can't find blades for it here in the USA or that it doesn't hold them well. Is this your experience too, John? I'm wondering if I should forget their cutoff holder and get two more regular AH2090 holders for old Armstrong type cutoff blade holders I got instead. What do you think John? Thank you.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well Splat mine works just fine ,although I did make a mod for it. Drilled 2 holes vertically through the top into the clamping block for guide pins to force the clamp piece to move straight vertically. Tool holder is hard but carbide drill worked OK. Blade in mine at the moment is a Chinese made HSS with a trapezoidal profile blade. Most of my parting is done using power feed. Also am using carbide inserted blades in a holder made for them that is held in a regular tool holder.
www.chaski.com
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Not for me, I'm currently happily using around 50 Dickson style tool holders, all numbered wit their own DRO tool settings for front & rear tool post use ;-)
Splat

Post by Splat »

John, why did you modify the cutoff holder and do you have a pic?

BTW, Nina @ Create Tool replied about the "A" series cutoff tool. She stated the max size blade that can be used is 3/32"W(2.3mm) x 1/2"H(12.7mm). This definitely helps because I can find that size blade easily.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Splat : I tried first using a T [parallel] style blade and it would not hold it correctly seems OK with the tapered style. But ,I have a genuine Swiss made "B" size set on my 18" lathe and it has the guide pins so I figured if it was good enough for the Swiss it was good enough for me. Anyway I use the cutoff tool now regularly with no issues. Will try to get a picture up later today.
John
PS The way the holder is made it looks to be designed for the tapered style blade.
OK pictures added. You can see the pins I added, this copies what was done on the Swiss made "B"series holder I'm using on my 18" lathe. Also the blade is a 3/32X1/2" as Nina says.
Attachments
part tool holder 001.JPG
part tool holder 005.JPG
www.chaski.com
wally318

Post by wally318 »

Hi . I have the A size Multifix toolpost on a Chipmaster I bought recently.
It came with only 1 holder. I just found anoither tool post with 4 holders for a fairly good price.
But no cutoff holder. I was thinking of getting one from Create, but one slight problem.
Until now I've been using a 17mm, 11/16 HSS blade ,and just found a drop in Iscar blade
for the Grip carbide inserts. But looks like 10mm is max tool depth for the Create A sized holders.
Any suggestions? Anyone using these? Does it look like there might be a possibility of modifying the holder
to get close to the 17mm's?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Not enough meat for that mod I'm afraid. What I'm using for the insert style blades is a septerate holder that adapts the blade to the toolpost slot . I used a carbide endmill to cut the holder down a bit to fit the 5/8th slot in the toolpost holder.
www.chaski.com
Splat

Post by Splat »

Finally getting around to a boring job down the road. I have the "A" size set from Create with the H2085 boring/turning tool holder and wondering how to hold a 1/4" boring bar in it. I was thinking of cutting in half an appropriately diameter hex rod to use as a shim under the boring bar. What are you guys using? Thanks.