4-Jaw Disassembly

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

electrosteam

4-Jaw Disassembly

Post by electrosteam »

I have a 6 inch 4-jaw branded IMPEX by Asmeet International that I intend mounting on a D1-3 backplate.

Removal of the factory protective wax/grease coating is proving time-consuming, but the real problem is the amount of grit captured withing the coating in the internal areas of the chuck that are difficult to clean.

How can I disassemble the chuck so that all areas can be properly cleaned ?
Is it wise to consider a high-pressure jet cleaning like a Gerni ?

The photo of the back shows 4 circular inserts corresponding with the worm restraint yokes.
A few centre-punch hits aimed at loosening an assumed cover over fixings within did nothing.

A 3.3 mm drill went to 6 mm cutting solid metal, perhaps the circular insert visible is just the back end of the restraint yokes that have been pressed in.
I tried a couple of moderate taps of the restraint yoke fingers from the front, but it felt solid.
New Small 4-jaw Back Compr.JPG
Any suggestions ?
John
Harold_V

Re: 4-Jaw Disassembly

Post by Harold_V »

I haven't a clue in regards to how you'd remove more than the jaws, but I'm of the opinion that it isn't necessary.

Using Stoddard solvent (paint thinner, mineral spirits), flood the areas that have surfaces that interact with one another. Allow the solvent enough time to liquefy any grease that may be present. Rinse well, then use compressed air to blow out the remaining solvent. If you find grease is removed with the air, repeat the cleaning process. In the end, you can have a fully cleaned chuck without disassembling.

I use that process for cleaning bearings that are to be put back in service. I avoid spinning the bearing while dry, but a final rinse in clean solvent and a quick drying with air yields a perfectly clean bearing, ready to be packed.

A friendly tip. Do NOT use gasoline (petrol) to do your cleaning. That's an excellent way to get you (and perhaps your loved ones) removed from the gene pool.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
electrosteam

Re: 4-Jaw Disassembly

Post by electrosteam »

Harold,
Some good commonsense advice, I will proceed with cleaning only.

I did dismantle a 4-jaw Pratt Bernard chuck some years ago, and my memory says it was all very logical and no problem in my home shop.
Just something else to watch if (when ?) I consider acquiring another chuck.

Thanks,
John.