new to metal lathes

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kpswans

new to metal lathes

Post by kpswans »

I am looking into machineing grade 2 titanium from what I have read low speed around 600rpm, and water based full syn. coolant must be used along with carbide bits. The items i will be machining would be less than 4" length and 1" diameter

I was looking at the grizzly 60745 would this be enough to do the job?
John Evans

Re: new to metal lathes

Post by John Evans »

You must be kidding ! Aluminum that size with HSS tooling you might do ,titaniun don't think you have a chance.
www.chaski.com
kpswans

Post by kpswans »

what machines do you suggest I am a woodworker by profession never really gotten to involved with machineing other than making moulder knife.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Try someting in the 12X36 size that weighs 800-1000 , That will have enough mass and be ridged enough to use carbide tooling. In your area a South Bend Heavy 10 should be avilable or a 13" SB ,forget the SB 9" stuff. Or a 11-12" Sheldon or Logan ,those will have some mass and were good machines and will be cheaper the the green bear to boot.
www.chaski.com
kpswans

Post by kpswans »

Is it a hp thing or a ridgity thing that I can't use the mini lathes how much should these southbend heavy 10's go for? And are most of them 3-phase
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Both !! SB heavy 10 in your area I would expect $1000-1500 depending on condition and tooling included, out here double that. 3 phase is no issue as long as 220-240 single is available,you can use a static-rotory or VFD. As I said Logan or Sheldon also and I would much rather have a 11-12 " Logan over the antique design SB. I ran a 12" Logan with a 2 HP motor with a static converter with no issues. But be sure to buy a lathe with a QC gearbox whatever you look at.
www.chaski.com
kpswans

Post by kpswans »

Thanks appreciate the insight I was looking into making titanium nails but I'm not sure there will be enough profit to be worth while I see them go for $60 but the cost of titanium is almost 40.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If you have little to no experience in machining, especially titanium, you'd most likely find yourself well over your head. Titanium is amongst the most difficult of all metals to machine. Not a great way to learn to cut metals, but I expect that the guy who can machine titanium successfully can accomplish almost any task. Maybe even catch a fly with chopsticks.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Carm

Post by Carm »

".....titaniun don't think you have a chance."

John, HSS was used on Ti before carbide existed, the hardest part was breaking a chip, usually just interrupted the feed.
Not saying a green hand with a peashooter won't have trouble.
rudd

Post by rudd »

I just looked up what a "titanium nail" is. Nothing to do with fastening materials together, that's sure. Someone is knocking those out on a machining center, you'd have way more than 60 bux in labor in one of them on a manual machine, even one that could handle the job.
The one time I turned titanium - let's see, slow speed and rigidity? 20" Lodge and Shipley from around 1912. Turned some wedding bands no problems. Well, I did have one problem in hitting size, the one I made for my wife-to-be must have been a bit too large, it somehow kept slipping off when she went out of town...
thankfully, she is now someone else's problem. :mrgreen:
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

LOL
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers