Teach me about tool post sizes

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Teach me about tool post sizes

Post by seal killer »

All--

I have a Grizzly 14x14 lathe; G0709. It has a 200 series tool post. What's that mean? Is it an AXA, BXA, CXA or something else?

I THINK I want to upgrade the tool post to either an Aloris or a Dorian. I only think I want to do it because if I am having issues with the stock tool post, I don't recognize them. Would such problems include an increased tendency to chatter? What are the inherent design advantages of the wedge over the piston type tool post?

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Re: Teach me about tool post sizes

Post by BadDog »

That would be the equivalent of a BX/BXA. If it's piston, you might well like a wedge, particularly if you've noticed it vibrating loose on heavy interrupted cuts (or chatter), or if you turn in reverse. Other than that, if you've not noticed an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Bill : take a look at a Multifix 40 posistion style post . Fairly reasonable from Create Tool out of China. I posted a review of the one I bought back in January. But if you already have a good selection of holders a wedge type post would be a good upgrade.
www.chaski.com
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BadDog and John--

Thank you, Gentlemen.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Carm

Post by Carm »

seal killer wrote:All--

What are the inherent design advantages of the wedge over the piston type tool post?

Thanks!

--Bill
Seems most people who use the Dorian/Aloris style prefer the wedge. One of the lathes I've run had a CXA Phase II piston on it, and I never had problems with interrupted cuts, i.e. turning square flame cuts, or facing flanges with bolt holes. One problem I did have was Aloris blocks (the tool vendor repped that brand) wouldn't fit. I blueprinted a Dorian post from another lathe and did a little bit of dressing on the face of the dovetail, problem solved. I always blue the base fit of a new post on a lathe...you want as much contact as possible.
Never had the opportunity to try the Multifix, I like the concept. The Aloris style isn't hard to swing around though, just have to indicate for some things like parting.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

I remember 1 of the lathes @ work had the Multifix tool post. Not sure if our 2nd lathe had it. It was what we had so I really can't say how it compared to the wedge or piston type tool posts.

The lathes were probably twice the size of my 12 x 36 lathe so the rigidity of the lathe & its accessories was probably similar.