Keep the mini lathe or upgrade?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BrooklynBravest

Re: Keep the mini lathe or upgrade?

Post by BrooklynBravest »

I'm already using 1/4" tools. They literally just make it.

Thanks for the tip on the bolts.

I realize these things are cheap but obviously it still needs to function.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep your 100% right, there's no doubt the Chinese can and probably do manufacturer top quality bolts in any grade available. They for sure don't run there military, space program or the rest of there industry with Harbour Freight quality bolts. But probably the facts about those cheap tool post's and holders are that the dealers over here who will be selling them have a fixed selling price and there forcing the Manufacturer's over there to build down to a price the dealers are only willing to pay. I've read more that a few comment's from people who have been involved a bit in the wholesale/retail and Chinese built tooling. They always say the Chinese can build up to what ever level you want, but that no one wants to buy anything of good quality for resale in North America because it would be just too expensive.

Obviously to cut costs the bolts were the first thing to be sacrificed. But it still shouldn't cost you much to replace them. You will want to face the end of each bolt or cap screw and then turn off the first 2 or 3 threads down to the threads core diameter. If you don't do that the ends of the bolts will slowly mushroom out until you won't be able to remove the bolts from the female threads in your tool holders. It's just one more little pita, but it has to be done.

It's hard to say for sure since the tooling isn't in front of me, but it might be possible to put your tool post in your lathes 4 jaw chuck and then face off about an 1/8th of an inch from the bottom of your tool post. That would help lower everything and might help line up things a bit better for your combination of lathe and tool post. But I just can't say for sure if that's a good idea or not.

Pete

Pete
BrooklynBravest

I'll have to determine the bolt size and order some from McMaster or something.
RCWorks

Post by RCWorks »

I have the HF 8x12, I have the A2Z quick change tool post(Best purchase I made for it.).

It also has trouble parting... turn your parting tool upside down and reverse the lathe for parting, you will get better results.

I plan on getting a larger lathe... A Southbend 10" would do nicely.
Harbor Freight Mini Mill
Harbor Freight 8x12 Lathe
Home made CNC Mill/Router
Looking for...
  • Oxy/Acetylene setup
    Metal Shear/Box and Pan Brake
Rex

Post by Rex »

Per your original question.

I have had about a half-dozen minilathes over the past decade. The last one was the nicest I have ever seen - ball bearings everywhere, polished, fitted etc. It was a joy to look at. But it sat for 2 years while I used other lathes. I found nothing in my tinkering/hobby projects that was ideal for the mini, inlcuding some firing pins. I actually started to make some firing pins, but quickly moved that project to the 9" Logan.
So no more minilathes for me.
You have about $400 in yours. Around here (Texas) they sell pretty quickly at that price. I would ask $500 with that QCTP.

If you decide to sell, I'd look for a Clausing, Logan or South Bend, or even one of the Asian 10"-12". I'm not a big fan of the larger Atlas lathes.
However, an Atlas 618 in nice shape can be had for a little more than that $400, and in my opinion is a nice upgrade from a mini. I do have one of those, and will probably keep it.
BrooklynBravest

Ok so I came across this on craigslist.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hvo/5113162040.html

Its not really much bigger than what I have, but It has more features and comes with enough parts. At half price from new, it seems worthwhile especially if I get him down another 50-$100.

Buying a steady rest and 4 jaw chuck for my lathe alone would cost me $150.

It looks like investing in this and selling what I have even for $200 (i probably spent $300-350) I would be getting a great deal. This lathe seems pretty comparable to the atlas 618 that I want and can't find.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well that is pretty close to the Atlas 6X18 with the plus of a QC box. And the price is nice.
www.chaski.com
BrooklynBravest

He emailed me back, said its still for sale. Its a start but I seem to have read a lot that people don't think this lathe is worthwhile.

My issue is for the price I assume I can always just resell it, and the space a larger machine takes up is not available to me right now. I can't imagine this has any problems a mini lathe doesn't have if anything it should be at least a small upgrade?
BrooklynBravest

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7F55C949C ... 22&o=OneUp

More photos. Think it's a good buy for $500, maybe 450.

Comes with 6" faceplate, 4" 3 jaw and a 6" 4 jaw. Steady and follower rest.
BrooklynBravest

Ok so I bought it. With travel expenses I probably spent total $560. I bought some boring bars from him. Too.

Only issue I am having with it so far is when I disengage the spindle from the motor, the belt keeps popping off. The belt appears to not be worn and I don't see why he wouldn't have the right size belt.
BrooklynBravest

Well here she is and everything it came with. I paid about $560 total if I include my commute cost. I ended up giving him another $20 for some boring and threading tools that were all made in the USA. (shown in pic)

Hopefully I got a good deal.

I had to order the 730mm belt it is supposed to have too so I can only use 3 of the 6 speeds right now. Does anyone know how to stop the belt from popping off when I disengage the spindle?
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Take the chuck key out of the chuck. Question what do you mean by "disengaging the spindle'? Shutting off the motor? or what. Check for a alignment issue re motor -belt-etc. Other than that I think you did OK.
www.chaski.com