Anyone know what this is?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Anyone know what this is?

Post by neanderman »

Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by spro »

What it says it is. It a backplate for long taper nose lathe spindle to fit inside the back of a chuck. There's no chuck, so there is a centering device, of sorts and locking fingers to hold something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep, pretty much what spro said. I'd suggest that it was an adapter used to hold and machine a given part, which may have been difficult to grip. Most likely could have been solved by using soft jaws, though.

I expect that such a piece is not readily available (most likely what remains of an old chuck, with the chuck having been machined away), thus the high asking price. Not worth it unless one is really desperate, as, unlike soft jaws, it has a finite life unless it is used without modification.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks!
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

Btw Ed, My reply may have looked flippant. Little things as that bother me as I have been so wrong before. You already have the Le Blond are familiar with the Long Taper. That is why it was of interest to you. It appears the plate hasn't scored the taper and the right chuck may fit it. IMHO it is way overpriced for there wasn't even a description of the alternate use.
Then I thought the Le Blond was L0 anyway.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

spro wrote:Btw Ed, My reply may have looked flippant. Little things as that bother me as I have been so wrong before. You already have the Le Blond are familiar with the Long Taper. That is why it was of interest to you. It appears the plate hasn't scored the taper and the right chuck may fit it. IMHO it is way overpriced for there wasn't even a description of the alternate use.
Then I thought the Le Blond was L0 anyway.
Spro, I did not take your comment as at all flippant, so no worries.

I appreciate the comments (from all) re pricing. I do want to get another chuck for it -- the 15" that came with it is just massive and I'm thinking maybe an 8" or 10" might be more apropos for what I hope to do with it. Looking at new ones gave me sticker shock, so I've been keeping my eyes out for something used. Hence my finding this. 8)

Other Le Blonds may have an L-0, but this one is definitely L-00. At least, that's what the manual says it is. :)
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote:Other Le Blonds may have an L-0, but this one is definitely L-00. At least, that's what the manual says it is. :)
That seems quite small for such a large chuck (15").

You can easily determine which it is by measuring the major diameter of the thread on the chuck. An L-00 has a diameter of 3-3/4" - 6 pitch thread
an L-0 has a diameter of 4-1/2" - 6 pitch thread.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.