Clausing 1500 var. speed fix

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Randall Va

Clausing 1500 var. speed fix

Post by Randall Va »

My Clausing 1500 variable speed unit quit working about a year ago,just got around to checking this weekend, turned out the packing had gone bad,it has a small pump that the variable drive handle turns to pump hyd fluid to the reeves drive,it works like a car brake master cyl.,it is held on by two allen set screws-be careful when you loose them,there is a spring and plunger that will fly out if you don't hold it.
Once it is off,remove two allen bolts -again be careful because spring and piston will fly apart,remove the piston and you will see a hyd. seal and two o-rings,I went to our local hyd. cyl.repair shop today and they had the seal and o-rings for less than 10.00,I had searched for this problem or repair but search came up with nothing so I hope this will help if someone else has this problem.Thought about posting pictures after I had all ready got it fixed! Randall
www.chaski.com
wlw-19958

Re: Clausing 1500 var. speed fix

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Clausing lathes have a somewhat notorious reputation
regarding their variable speed drives. The hydraulics
are easily fixed and generally not very expensive either.

The VS pulleys are another story. If they are damaged,
they are expensive to replace.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveM

Re: Clausing 1500 var. speed fix

Post by SteveM »

I remember the effort my dad went thru fixing the drive system on his 5914.

Good thing is that it will probably last another 30 years.

Steve