New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by pete »

Hard to say for sure since that's a pretty short video. But going by what looks to be still the original factory paint, then it sure doesn't seem like that lathe has had much use. If so you've just found an awesome machine. And with a MT 5 in the tail stock it was designed from the start as a very rigid lathe. Does the DRO come with it?

Pete
Patio

Post by Patio »

Pete, yes the DRO comes with it. It is a old one but it works. The paint is original, but until I get it here I will not know the actual condition of the lathe. I do suspect it should be in good condition, as the only ones that used it, were in the Lab in Savannah Nuclear Reservation. The person I bought it from just installed the VFD drive and oil pump, on it. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

I remember seeing one of these in a precision tool and die shop somewhere a few years back. It was the absolute favorite of every person in the shop (including the ones who were not allowed to use it!).

Best of luck
pete

Post by pete »

Patio,
Going by what Mike has said and what the short and restriced view of that paint at least hints at, you just might have scored a real gem. It's got a very good pedigree, a size that just moves it up into the next and much heavier duty class above the 12" swing lathes, and that tool room designation would have meant that was a very expensive and well built machine.

Pete
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Patio wrote:I just went out and took a measurement, and it reads no more than the surrounding area. It is something I had intended checking and your post reminded me to do so. I do feel better about it now. :)
Just happened to have a Geiger counter lying around? Every shop should have one.

Like you, I'd been looking for a 12 x 36 or 13 x 40, but when I found the 15 x 30 Dual Drive I didn't even hesitate. Hopefully, I'll never miss the extra 6 - 10" of length; I'm sure I'll never regret the extra throw or the sheer heft of the beast.

Mine weighs 2,900 lbs, too, so I broke it down to move it. Since I intended to re-paint it anyway, it sure made handling it easier (as did the handy little dolly that a friend of mine welded up for me.)
Attachments
Unloading
Unloading
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Patio

Post by Patio »

Some picture of the lathe where it sits. I am going to move it next weekend.
20150823_140818a.jpg
20150823_141005a.jpg
20150823_141021a.jpg
More to come, as I get it done!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Are you getting the tracer too? If it has not come up, try to find it and get it included. Also looks like some access panels/covers were removed, and hopefully they are also laying about nearby.

In any case, you are a very lucky man to acquire a lathe like that.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Very nice lathe!!!!! and a rare one on top.
about 4 years ago I looked at one of its little brothers out at Dan's machinery in Gresham. no where near the size of yours, about a 6 by 20. same deal. tons of feed and thread choices. and very well built. it was a geared head. one of the neat/odd things was it had a manual tracer/taper attachment on it. you could cut tapers, or if you made a template, it would follow it, all mechanically. really a slick set up.
it went way cheap!! Dan commented and I did not verify it but he said Cazeneuve meant horse in French. Dan said it eventually ended up with a police officer in Gresham and that he loves it!
I still kick myself that I did not grab it,,
Grant
Patio

Post by Patio »

Ed, is your Le Blond up and running? Pictures? :)

Russ, I have learned that these lathes came with either a taper attachment, or a tracer, as the design of the one piece tailstock, can not be used to cut tapers. More on that later. Mine came with a taper attachment, and I have all the covers that belong on the late.

Grant, thanks! I am pretty excited about the whole thing.

I sold the South Bend Heavy 10, to a good friend. We moved it this morning.
20150829_085627a.jpg
I moved the Cazeneuve lathe today, with the help of my younger brother. It is in my shop now. It went well and with out indecent. :)

I have started to clean it and it seems to be in good condition. I have not run it, since the move.

The, before cleaning, pictures.
20150829_180651a.jpg
20150829_181032a.jpg
20150829_180816a.jpg
20150829_181005a.jpg
It will take a bit to get it fully cleaned up and ready to run.
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Patio wrote:Ed, is your Le Blond up and running? Pictures? :)
Not yet. I'm still working on dis/re-assembly.

Most of the small parts are now cleaned, skimmed and primed. The smaller base is ready for priming, but the larger one that holds the motor and most of the wiring I'm a little stuck on until I figure out how to set it up with a VFD -- I suspect that a lot of the controls it has on it can be 'scrapped' and much of the wiring redone, it's just that I've never done this before and I've never worked with 3 phase in any form.

I really haven't touched the bed/headstock as far as cleaning/sanding and I've only degreased the chip/coolant pan.

I did post a few pictures of the primed parts over in the 'Show us your lathe' thread.

Believe me, I will post more pictures as work progresses!

Thanks for the interest and congratulations on your new acquisition!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Very nice. I was going with Tracer because of the turret mount at the rear of the cross slide. Either way, nice features to have.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That looks really cool. Just keep your prostate away from it until you get a Geiger counter reading.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.