New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by pete »

I'd be real interested in seeing those Patio. You've already done a fine job with this machine.
JackF

Post by JackF »

X2 what pete said. Also X2 what spro said, even at my advanced age :roll: I would love to find one of those and this thread would help me recognize it when I found it. :) :)

Jack.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

"The pin is longer than the flange of the tailstock, allowing the adapter to be ejected when the tailstock is fully retracted."

Well, that's just brilliant!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Patio

Post by Patio »

Looks like it is update night!
I have the control mechanisms for the lathe finished. I have been using them for a few months now, and do enjoy them. The lathe is now in a condition where I should be able to make some kind of video of it's operations. Just need to make some time to do it.
There is a speed mechanism that turns the potentiometer of the VFD, and there is a control mechanism that sets the FWD-STOP-REV switches, for rotation. I may remake the control mechanism to improve the feel, but it is not critical, it works as it is. To see the fabrication of the controls, that I am using, go to viewtopic.php?f=24&t=89632&start=420 That is version 3, go further back to see the first iteration of the design.

Because of the design of the tailstock on the HBX360, the lathe came equipped with a taper attachment or a hydraulic tracer attachment, allowing one to cut tapers longer the the compound travel. This one came with a taper attachment. I have been keeping an eye out for a tracer attachment for some time. The design of the back splash does not leave enough space, for the more common design of a tracer attachment, like the Cadillac, or True Trace brands, that use a large arm to hold the stylus head, which also contains the micrometer adjustments. This arm sets to high to go under the back splash. A Duplomatic, on the other hand, uses an arm on the side of the main body, to hold just a stylus. The micrometer adjustments are done at the tool post creating a low profile tracer. The original tracer attachments that would have come from Cazeneuve, I know nothing about. I have seen them in sales literature, but nowhere else.

Awhile back, a Duplomatic came up on CL, with all the parts. It had the supports, rail, centers, tool post, one tool holder and mounting plates. It was cheap and close to me. So I went and got it. Once home, I came to the conclusion that is was to large also. Harold has a Duplomatic TA 55, I believe it is. It is small and would fit on the HBX360 just fine. His uses the same model pump, smaller supports and a shorter rail. So back to searching for the smaller unit. They need to be close, because they are quite heavy and shipping would usually kill the deal. So one comes up on EB for an extremely high price, but shipping is free. It is only the head. No pump or any other parts. Looks to have the stylus. After a few emails to explain to the guy, with out all the other parts, they are not very useful, we came to an agreement for a deal. I expect it to arrive Monday. I have no idea if the unit even works, so I am taking a bit of a chance. Only time will tell.
I did get out the Duplomatic TA 80 that I bought earlier. The guy that sold it to me, the turret stops weren't' working. So I spent some time today sorting that out. Turned out to be a few loose screws. Here is a video of it in operation, sitting on a table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQyVWIumHk
That is where things are at. No shortage of things to do. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
pete

Post by pete »

Very impressive and that's the first hydraulic powered turret I've ever seen in operation Patio.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Pete, the turret is not hydraulically actuated. It has a plunger underneath that advances it. It does have a clock spring inside that will reset it back to the #1 stop. It has the ability to do a couple of stops and then return to #1.
I have received the T 50 tracer, a much smaller version. It has 6 stops that can only be advanced to the next position, and has to go through each position to get back to #1.
Here is a video of the T 50 and the TA 80 is shown in the background. It needs a lot of cleaning, and I will have to find a tool holder for the tool post, before real use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M3hAPWKVk
Here is a picture of the two, side by side, for comparison.
20200804_171910.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
pete

Post by pete »

Yep I figured it was just the back and forth as the hydraulic powered part and the internals would mechanically index the turret just like the hand powered units. That tracer attachment should be a very nice set up. I've only seen how they work a few times on YouTube.

Fwiw and since I'm not sure how much experience you have working with hydraulics. Surgically clean oil at all times at the minimum. Any grit from outside contamination, metal particles from the internals going south will eat up the rest of the system in no time. And none of it is cheap to replace. Most of the newer mining equipment I've run had in line sensors to detect contamination and you'd get a warning of it in the cab. As long as the oil is kept clean and nothing is seriously wearing in the system that's about all you need for a simple one function set up. But I don't fully trust any hydraulic system. It's more than rare, but I have had a function keep moving after releasing the control input or even power up without touching the controls a few times. I don't know much about hydraulics, so I assume it's from an internal valve hanging up due to a failure or contamination. Pretty strange to see it happen. Whenever you change filters it's a good idea to dissect the old one and check for anything that really shouldn't be there since it can save a lot of money if you catch a developing problem soon enough. Being cheap and not replacing the hydraulic flex lines if they start showing damage on the outside is a bad idea. They only blow when there fully powered up and a shower of hot hydraulic oil isn't much fun. Depends on your pressures if single braid or more is needed on replacement lines. I'd guess both those units and the pump are fairly low pressure. But the pump should have a tag showing it's developed pressure. Having that hydraulic power pak opens up other shop items that can be powered with it as well. I'm a bit envious.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Pete, I know very little about hydraulics. I know some of the dangers they poses, like loosing finger and such from hydraulic injection. I know pressure is power and volume is speed. That about sums it up for me.
I started this post about the tracer here in this thread, because I intend to install it on the Cazeneuve lathe, but the tracer itself is going to be a project, so I will be doing the rest of the discussion on the refurbishing of the tracer, in a new thread. This will keep some kind of uniformity for those searching for particular subjects. When the tracer head and tool post are back and in running order I will post here about the install of it on the lathe.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!