New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by Patio »

I got home a little early from being on the river for the weekend. The cleaning of the lathe is now done!!! I am now trying to figure out some controls, how to control the chips without having to crawl into the back of the thing to retrieve a dropped part and a mount for my old AXA tool post until I get one of the proper size for the machine. I am also in the hunt for a decent 3 jaw with removable jaws to fit a D1-5 spindle.

Things are moving along.
More to come as it happens!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Found out I don't need a different 3-jaw chuck. I fixed the one that came with the lathe. The dang thing would lock up on me, when I would try to open or close it. I mean lock up solid, not like some chips got in it. So I too the thing apart to see what was up and to give it a bath.

This is what I found!
20150912_171507a.jpg
Thing works great now.

The tailstock is different than most lathes. It has a MT5 taper that a special adapter goes in to make it a MT4. The spindle of the tailstock is hollow all the way through, not allowing the normal way to eject a tool from the taper. The adapter has a nub that sticks out, and when the quill is retracted, it will bump against the tailstock and eject the adapter. The nub also retracts into a recess in the face of the tailstock, as not to allow the adapter to spin in the quill, but allowing the tooling to spin in the adapter, if it must, thus saving the quill of the tailstock. I have two of the adapters and neither had the nub in them anymore. So I made a couple and press fit them to the adapters.

Here is a couple of pictures.
Adapter with nub installed.
20150912_123151a.jpg
Face of tailstock.
20150912_123239a.jpg
Also notice the Allen set screw/plug in the side of the tailstock the the knurled knob underneath the tailstock. There is another Allen head plug on the opposite side, that has graduations, for very fine adjustments. Also the fact that the bore of the quill is eccentric to the outside diameter of the quill, by .120" to the high side. These features allow one to align the bore of the tailstock to the axis of the spindle. More on how all that works later, when I adjust it.
Out of time for the evening. More to come as it happens.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello Patio,
The method used to center the tailstock quill in line with the center of the headstock is interesting. A later application for this idea was used by EMCO Maier Co. of Austria on the tailstock of the Unimat Basic/PC lathes. All previous Unimats had no way at all to adjust the tailstock. However, in the old Unimats with the round 12mm bars for ways the headstock could be rotated a tiny bit to compensate for any miss alignment between the center lines. The Unimat Basic/PC is a interesting tour de force of engineering. They have a sheet metal weldment that was assembled using robot welders with the parts in very accurate gigs. Like all Unimats these were somewhat under powered even though they had permanent magnet brushless DC motors with variable control. The motor should have had about 25% more power. I think they were prone to over heat when in CNC mode. They did have a duty cycle warning in the front of the Instruction book but I guess few heeded it.
Cary
pete

Post by pete »

Not to throw Patio's thread off, but Emco motors seem to all run a lot hotter than average. My little Compact 5 is continuous duty rated but after an hour you can't hold your hand on the motor.

Your new lathe looks to be in beautiful condition Patio. I think you have a keeper.

Pete
Patio

Post by Patio »

Wires, wires, everywhere! Getting closer to finishing the control circuit wiring. Still need a 22mm, momentary, stop switch, with pilot light. NO and NC contacts. I will take pictures when I am done.

This is the last part of the project at this time. Once done I can move the lathe into place and move everything back into the shop, and it is just in time, as the fall rains are starting.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Spent some time in the shop working on the controls for the Cazeneuve lathe. The control wiring is pretty much done. I need to make a mount for the potentiometer to fit a 22mm hole. I also need to get some fittings to protect the wires going to the box that contains the E-stop button and the pendant from the VFD.

Here are some pictures of the control wiring and some of the lathe. The wiring is not my best work, but it works.

This is the rats nest that I made while getting it to do the operations like I wanted. It took a few tries.
20151004_181518a.jpg
This is once every thing was cleaned up a bit.
20151004_192546a.jpg
The lathe condition, as of today. It will get moved straight back against the wall when I am done.
20151004_144353a.jpg
The apron controls with a brief description of what the levers do.
20151004_144413ab.jpg
20151004_144428ab.jpg
More to come as I get it done!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

What a marvelous lathe. However lucky you may feel, I'm fairly sure you don't serve your luck justice.

As for moving it against the wall, you appear to have an excellent chip control mechanism, and I have no idea what may be on the back side of that lathe, but I've put 2 lathes close to (not against) a wall and regretted it both times. My current lathe retains enough room to walk behind. I use that space to store the tracer cart and other things, and there is peg board and extended tool storage back there too, but only a little effort leaves it wide open. Of course for my current lathe that is the primary bulk chip clearance extraction location, access to the main contactor array, and oil drain location. Your mileage may vary, but it might be worth thinking carefully on.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hi Russ,
Putting the lathe against a wall is not ideal, I agree, but it is the only place it can set at the moment. The contactors and VFD are in a cabinet on the back side, so accessing them later will be difficult. My problem is lack of space. I took some measurements before buying the lathe and believe I can make it all work. I have a couple of motor cycles that have to go in the shop also. One is parked there between use, the other will be put up on a table for repairs. Once everything is in the shop, there is a path the goes around the build table. Fortunately I am not a wide person. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Neat work, Patio. I'm pretty slow at catching up but how did that cap screw even get in that chuck, I wonder. The controls at the apron are more complex than I've seen. Really interesting engineering all around. I think I've figured out the tailstock, at least. Even the back knob lever makes sense.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am contemplating on making a video of the lathe and it's functions, if there is any interest, as there is very little info on it, anywhere on the internet. All I have ever been able to find was some YT videos, where people have made a video for the purpose of selling one.

What do you guys think?
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Go for it.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Please don't do that, I'm begging you. I'm already getting jealous as it is, and my lathe looks so limited and primitive by comparison. :oops: :lol:

Just kidding. Would be cool to see, in the same way watching shows about super cars and fancy houses is cool, knowing I'll never own one... <sniff>
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper