New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by Patio »

For those that are interested in this lathe and how it works, cause it is not like anything else out there, here is a link to the manual.
http://s259.photobucket.com/user/oleste ... t=6&page=1

The lathe does not have half nuts. It uses a worm wheel, engaged to the lead screw for the travel of the carriage while threading.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

That's not just half nuts, that's totally nuts! 8)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

neanderman wrote:That's not just half nuts, that's totally nuts! 8)
:lol:
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have been making test runs on the lathe, talking to the U.S. Cazeneuve service rep, and reading. No one has been able to give me the ah ha solution to the problem. I will need to disassemble the apron to some extent to figure out the true nature of the problem. I have ideas but am not ready to vet them on the board yet.

Through all this I am getting a better understanding of how the lathe works. The reason this HBX360 does not need a thread dial, is that it works similar to a Super Spacer dividing head. Where a super spacer uses masks, to limit the engagement positions, of a dividing head, the Cazeneuve uses 5 different discs with notches to limit the engagement timing, while cutting threads. The different disks are selected by the K,L,N,O,P settings. The settings are set by a push/pull shaft with a knob, under the cross feed dial and has 5 detents, one for each setting.
The lathe also has a normal gear box that works like any Southbend lathe with a quick change gear box, with the three speed lever on the top. The movement of the Cazeneuves' levers are done a bit differently, and their positions are indicated, via a window with a horizontal and vertical stylus, that align with a grid of numbers, written on the window . The horizontal stylus indicator would represent lever on the bottom of a Southbend gearbox and the vertical stylus indication would represent the 3 speed lever on the top of a Southbend gearbox. Although on the Cazeneuve the lever that works like the, three speed lever of the Southbend, cannot be moved while under power.
The Cazeneuve HBX 360 has another lever on the apron that operates an extra rear box, that is contained within the apron and allows the rations of 1, 6/10, 1/2, and 1/4. This lever, is allowed to be changed while under power. Position 1, is for whole numbered threads, 1/2 is for half threads ie 12.5 tpi, and 1/4 for all quarter threads. When in the 6/10 position, the lathe will cut metric threads. All the different gear ratios are explained, in depth in the manual, for those mathematicians that may be interested.
There are, several different models of the HBX360 that Cazeneuve has produced over the years and not all of them have the extra gear box in the apron. This being a American versions, it has .001" graduations on the dials which direct read. It also has a D1-5 spindle nose. The French version has it own taper and special adapters needed mount chucks to the spindle.

I still need to figure out how the clutch system works, and differences of the two engagements systems for travel and threading.
I don't know how far I will go this weekend as for part of it, I will be helping with a food drive for our county food bank.
I will post the results here and pictures as I can.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Happy Happy news tonight! :lol:
The only problem with the way the lathe threads, is the operator! :oops:
The indicator on the lathe that lets you know whether one is threading Imperial or Metric is not intuitive. In fact it is the opposite of what it seems it should be.
There are 7 different settings that can effect the threading, I had all of them right but one. :oops:
The feeling of relief would be an understatement at this moment.
During this ordeal, I have learned much about the operation of this machine. I also may have a lead on some parts, but that is yet to be seen and I won't know anything about that for a couple of days.

More to come as I get it done!
Last edited by Patio on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I turned my first proper threads, and my first metric thread ever, while making a threaded bolt to match the spindle preload nut, so I can make a lock nut for it. It is just a practice thread, to learn the size and pitch of the nut. Ends up it is a 50mm X 2.25MM thread.

The nut and its' keepers.
20151113_203826a.jpg
Bolt with thread.
20151113_203628a.jpg
20151113_203640a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Yes, yes coming together nicely. One needs to click the pic and see the fine thread to shoulder. Master of Horse, we are in for the ride. Salutes.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The use of the word "proper" in the previous post, may be overstating it a little bit. The thread has the right tpmm but is not correct in the minimum and maximum diameters. The problem is my tool form is a bit messed up and needs to be ground. The thread was just for a test. I will remake the nut for a proper fit if needed.

I have some ideas about how to move the controls from on the back splash guard to the apron, where they were originally. I will need to acquire a new lever or make one, for the directional control ie. fwd/rev. One of the members over on the PM forum has some wonderful pictures of a HBX360, that he has gone through and refurbished. They are very helpful in my design process. In the end the lathe will runs as intended, but with the advantage of the VFD over the hydraulic reeves drive.
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here is a link to my YT video, of the Cazeneuve HBX360, power drilling. This is done via a bar that connects a worm gear in the tailstock to the carriage. In operation the tailstock is locked and the carriage is used to drive the tailstock's quill. The tailstock quill andvaces at 1/2 the rate of the carriage.

It is al. 6061 round stock. The project is a, water tight tube that will be mounted to motorcycle to hold registration paper. And it was a fun test! :)

https://youtu.be/7ZDw24avtgg

Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

I watched the video and there is a problem. It is too short :) It is great to see your Cazeneuve display yet another operation I'd not seen before. I don't know about the French. They were at war with Britain and the Germans and had the romance language and stuff. I've met a few French mechanics and engineer and the good ones are VERY good. They are steeped in engineering from medieval days to the present. They always have something different going on to make it unique (which is a word, like many, from France). Well I should appreciate your horsemanship and quit this now.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: I don't know about the French. They were at war with Britain and the Germans and had the romance language and stuff. I've met a few French mechanics and engineer and the good ones are VERY good.
Heh! Not too shabby with music, either. Jacques Loussier is a pianist with no equal, at least in my opinion.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

Patio,
That Cazeneuve lathe of yours has some pretty clever features you just don't see on many or maybe even any other lathes that I know of. That must have been a very very expensive machine when they bought it. I'm sure you already know that your more than a bit fortunate to find it. I am curious if you might have the original test certificate that came with it, or know yet what the factory allowable test numbers were when it was new.