New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by Patio »

I just bought a new to me lathe. It is a 14X30 Cazeneuve HBX 360 toolroom lathe that came from the Savanna Nuclear Reservation, Lab. It will not be able to pick it up for about a month, as there is much to be done to make room for it and all the obligations I have for the next few weekends. This thing has more dials and levers than I have ever seen on a lathe. I found it locally. It seems to be in good condition, but I will have to wait till it is here and set up to know for sure, if there are any issues.
I am in search of a D1-6 backing plate for a (I believe) 10" chuck and a 5C collet closer, of some type.
I am going to go and pick up the manual for it today, so I can learn how to run it. It has some very different features.
I will post more as I know more.
I am a Happy Happy guy!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
John Evans

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by John Evans »

Pictures and you SUCK!! :lol:
www.chaski.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Congrats, Pat!

You'll be amazed at how much quicker and easier everything is after using your bench lathe. Nothing wrong with bench lathes at all, just two different animals.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Does it glow in the dark? Nice feature not needing a night light in the shop. I have a lathe from Los Alamos with that feature!
Patio

Post by Patio »

For John..
20150809_201312a.jpg
More to come in a few weeks. :) I am shooting for Aug. 29th, to pick it up. I will move it the same way I moved my mill. Transport it from there to here on a car trailer, and have a friend with a wrecker pick it off the car trailer and set it in my shop. The lathe weighs 2,900 lbs.

Thanks Glenn, I am about as excited as can be about the prospect of running it. It has been converted from a hydrolic speed control to a VFD. I am going to add a potentiometer to the controls for speed. The way it set now, one must enter the freq. into the keypad.

Russ, I just went out and took a measurement, and it reads no more than the surrounding area. It is something I had intended checking and your post reminded me to do so. I do feel better about it now. :)

I did go and pick up the manual for the lathe. While there, I discovered that the lathe has a D1-5 spindle. The seller also gave me a box of goodies to go with the lathe, that included a Cushman D1-5, 4 jaw, a chinese D1-5, 3 jaw with removable jaws, a live center with adapters that should get me from the M5 taper to a M2 taper. Both the head stock and tailstock have M5 tapers. Also included was a M5 to 5C adapter for the head stock. I will need to make a closer of some sort. There are other issues that will need addressing in regards to installing a collet closer, that I will go into in time. It also comes with a follow rest.

The manual has 3 pages of available thread pitches that the lathe is capable of creating. It does not use a threading dial, all threads configurations, once set, can be picked up at anytime. The range goes from a course thread of 180mm per rev. to .2mm per rev and will do imperial of 1/4 to 80 threads per inch. It can do Whitworth also. Total threading capability is over 500 different pitches. :shock: Don't know what I will ever do with all that, but what the heck.

I am selling my South Bend Heavy 10. I have a friend that I have made a very fair offer to, and I hope he takes it, as I would like for him to have it. We will see how that goes.

There is a lot to learn about this lathe, I just hope I don't break anything while figuring it all out. There is not a lot of, in depth info, on the operations of the lathe. Does anyone here have one of these, and would be willing to talk if I end up with questions. I know that there is a thread and owner of this lathe on the PM board, but I am more comfortable with you guys. :)

That is it for now. I have a bunch of stuff to move around here, to make room for this lathe. I will keep you all posted as news comes up. Thanks for looking.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

The way I see it; If it works for you it works for us. I'm not even going to search a pic before I see this lathe. I hope you have something extra, on hand. Something else usually happens. Best to you with this new mystery lathe. It Has to be good.
Patio

Post by Patio »

This is a video the seller has made of the lathe I am buying. There is a series of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4k_tApIT8

From Lathe Uk, This is the same model as I have bought.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/cazeneuve360/

That should help. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I am very jealous. Fantastic machine.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
RSG

Post by RSG »

Very nice Patio, you must do some heavy turning to warrant a lathe like that. At 10 hp that's allot of torque.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Russ
Thanks RSG, the lathe comes with a 5hp motor. I don't do a lot of heavy turning, but I did want a industrial type lathe. I was looking for a 14" X 40" lathe, as I think it would be the most practical for a home shop that does general type repairs. This just happen to come up locally and for a reasonable price. It is more machine than I had hoped for, as it is a tool room lathe, with little use.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Ooh, that looks nice, and more knobs than a Westminster Parliament ;-)
spro

Post by spro »

oh .....!