New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

Re: New to me Cazeneuve HBX 360 Lathe

Post by Patio »

Spro, no promises, but I make some more videos of the lathe and it's different operations, as there is not much information on the net about them, beside the occasional video made by someone trying to sell one. If I was to make another video, is there a particular part of the lathe operation that you would like to see?

Harold, I am at this moment listening to Jacques Loussier on You Tube. Just had to take a listen, even though it is not quite my cup of tea.

Pete, I do not have any of the original certificates. There never was a service manual written for this lathe and there is only one operation manual that I or the Cazenuve technician has ever seen. The tech. told me a story about a time when the Port of New York wanted two of them, but one of the requirements of the contract, was for the lathes to be furnished with manuals. Cazeneuve had no desire to create one, so the contract never happened. From what I have read, the lathe cost about 50K new in 1985. This particular lathe was bought and installed at the Savanna Nuclear Reservation. I have talked with the technician that installed it when new. I do not know what it was used for while there. Finding this lathe, here in the town which I live in, was an amazing stroke of luck. It is much more lathe than I had ever expected to own in my lifetime, and I am grateful to have it.

If I can make some time, I will try to make a video of a threading operation that uses all the automatic and manual stops. It makes threading quite simple.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I get jealous every time I see this. I've had a jones for any of a number of the fancy wish-list lathes. 10ee and HLV near the top for fine work, DSG or Axelson for beautiful beasts with enough mass to warp space-time, and the Mori Seiki for all around wide range modern work horse. But at the moment your lathe tops them all for "if I could have just one for the picking". I'm the last person with any right to ask, but please keep us updated with posts, images and videos.

I'm very happy with what I have. it easily fulfills my needs with headroom to spare (at both the small and large ends) and it's ability easily exceeds my capability, so it's by no means a limiting factor. But much as I'm very well satisfied and perfectly content with my chipped Duramax Crew Cab which is by all acounts "perfect for me", I can't help but lust for both a custom FL-60 and a tricked Tesla Model-S (and more recently finding myself longing for my long lost 66 GTO I sold to help finance a move to Seattle starting a new career). Like your lathe, these are things I'll never have, but I can live vicariously with that lathe through you.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

You pretty well said much of what I've been thinking about Patio's lathe as well Russ.I think after enough learning enough and checking sites like the Lathes U.K. one you start to really appreciate some of the heavy duty and top quality built machines. Mine will do pretty much what I need, but a guy can dream. It is nice to see a member here snag a good one as well. And I still lust after that 69 Chevelle I almost bought. My licence and maybe me might not have survived that one tho.:-)

A shame about that manual and test certificate Patio. My best guess is the numbers would have been most impressive. Given the size of most parts in a Nuke plant, my other guess is since most work would have been contracted out then your's was probably only used for light duty maintenance on non critical work. It looks to have been only lightly used. And 50k in 1985 was a hell of lot of money. Still is I guess. I was making about $5.50 an hr at that time.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

There's always more better stuff to lust for; especially for us tool lovers.
I suppose [with the notable exception of Patio], we'd all like a better lathe... And yet, we make do with whatever we have.
I often have to remind myself that although my machine is small, ancient, and worn; I have a lathe, and the space to use it in, and that's great.

It's also great to have this forum where we can all exchange experiences and ideas. I learn something on here every day. Thanks for that everyone!
spro

Post by spro »

Fwiw, caseneuve means new path, coming around a different corner.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Jack, the man I bought the lathe from came by. I had promised him once I figured out how to thread with it, I would show him how it worked. He made this video while he was here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo7EKxt ... load_owner

Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
pete

Post by pete »

Beautiful machine Patio. That cross slide sure looks like it was designed so that a second top slide or the one you have can be mounted on the rear of the cross slide? First one I've ever seen like that.
spro

Post by spro »

Curiously, I happened to be up. Your video is great and lathe, a wonder. You are so adept it was pleasure to see the threading features at work. My laptop overheats with videos so I find a cold beverage to the left of the mouse pad, cools it down. I grabbed a Corgi Citroen Safari to prop it there and went on a trip. Awesome videos of the Cazeneuve Lathes and the interactive controls based on this lathe's design capabilities. Eventually into DarkIron chips flying the whole time. They would plop another rest on the tool post and cut internal radii by hand. Finials and fun viewing. Thanks and be sure to post reply quickly. No spro as last reply. This is too good.
spro

Post by spro »

Pete. Right ON.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The Cazeneuve lathe's tailstock has and adapter that is an MT5 to MT4, and is made with a protruding pin, so it can not spin in the tailstock's quill. It is special to the lathe and I have two of them. I decided to make another and will make more later, now that this one is done.

I bought a regular MT5 to MT4 adapter, online. I then threaded the end, made a flange from flat stock, threaded the flange, made a pin for the flange the assembled the whole unit. It came out great.

Here are the pictures.
The main spindle on the lathe is also an MT5. I threaded the adapter in place.
20160831_203843a.jpg
20160831_204059a.jpg
The flange is made from bar stock. I missed taking pictures or the boring and threading.
20160822_190010a.jpg
20160822_214151a.jpg
The pin.
20160901_201111a.jpg
More in the next post!
Last edited by Patio on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here is the finished product. The Original is on the left, new one on the right!
20160901_204256a.jpg
In the tailstock.
20160901_215604a.jpg
The pin is longer than the flange of the tailstock, allowing the adapter to be ejected when the tailstock is fully retracted.
20160901_215613a.jpg
Adapter in use.
20160901_215629a.jpg
View of tailstock with half moon cut-out in bottom of quill to stop the adapter from ever spinning in the quill.
20160901_215753a.jpg
More to come, as I get roundtoit. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

DANG! Don't know where to start. I'll delete tomorrow but I must say your part is better than the original. #5 in the tailstock? I'm gone. In a good way :)