9A direction lever

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Howardd

9A direction lever

Post by Howardd »

When the apron is off a South Bend 9A lathe should I be able to move the direction lever between the three positions?

I am buying a 9A and the saddle and apron were removed buy the seller to reduce weight for movement. The lathe operated fine prior to disassembly.

Thanks

Howard
wlw-19958

Re: 9A direction lever

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Howardd wrote:When the apron is off a South Bend 9A lathe should I be able to move the direction lever between the three positions?
The answer is YES. The center position is the neutral position.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

This is clearer now. The hole you thought a lock is really for the large screw which attaches the saddle to the apron on the left side. If it was apart, it could be mistaken. There might be a long shim between these two parts with the proper spaced holes.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Not sure how familiar you are with the lathe, so don't take this as an insult:

Be sure you are pulling out on the handle to pull the pin out in order to move the lever.

Also, it's possible that a gear is in the wrong position for you to move it, so try rotating the carriage or cross feed dial slightly.

Steve