Anyone work this gear train out

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Nugget

Anyone work this gear train out

Post by Nugget »

screw cutting.JPG
At risk of showing my ignorance, I cant get my head around how this is meant to translate to feed rates, or screw cutting.

Manual is chinglish and not any help

Anyone care to explain it? or point to an online explanation?

This is not my 'actual' lathe but identical model, just incase someone comments on gearbox oil level here.. :)
BadDog

Re: Anyone work this gear train out

Post by BadDog »

I don't see anything about feeds.

Top right is spindle speeds via belt swapping where the graphic on the left shows positions and the grid on the right gives outputs depending on position. Unfortunately, based on the graphic, the 2-1 and 3-1 mechanism is not clear to me, but hopefully looking at the graphic and the lathe will help sort that one.

Left side is all lead selection. Top grid is for metric leads. Left 2 columns for DEFG relate to gear tooth counts for associated positions in the gear train shown on the graphic at the bottom. So you configure DEFG as shown to pick your row. The top row gives settings for the dials at the lower right, and you set them as desired to pick your column. For instance, if I want 1.5mm lead, I need to pick the row with DEFG of 40,60,48,90 and column B-III. So set the dials to B and III, then put the indicated gears in the positions indicated on the bottom left graph. Also note that the graph indicates one constant gear with 68 teeth in one position, this does not change regardless of the metric lead you need.

The fractional leads are in the second graph down on the left, and the same row/column selection applies. The only thing new there is that for columns you have a compound "key" defined in the top 2 rows, and the ZE locations are called out on the bottom graph second from the left. Also, that second graphic indicates constant tooth count gears in the indicated positions for all fractional selections. So this time, if I want say 1/10 lead (i.e. 10 TPI), I put the indicated constant gears in the correct position, put the 70 tooth gear at Z, the 50 tooth gear at E, and set the dials to B and II, which picks the value 10 in at the intersection in the grid.

Unfortunately, that lathe is missing 13 TPI, which is a common fractional lead. But based on your location, I suspect that may not be much of an issue.

It also indicates a lathe that has no separate feed mechanism, so you'll be forced to use the lead screw thread to drive automatic feeds, which cuts down on your viable options AND increases wear on the lead screw and half-nuts. Not ideal, but not that unusual in small hobby class lathes.

Good luck.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oh, and based on the angle of the camera, I believe the oil level is likely within the acceptable range.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

BadDog wrote:I don't see anything about feeds.

Unfortunately, that lathe is missing 13 TPI, which is a common fractional lead. But based on your location, I suspect that may not be much of an issue.
It also indicates a lathe that has no separate feed mechanism, so you'll be forced to use the lead screw thread to drive automatic feeds, which cuts down on your viable options AND increases wear on the lead screw and half-nuts. Not ideal, but not that unusual in small hobby class lathes.
Good luck.
Thank you kind sir!!
Gee its soo much clearer when someone explains it, I had the basic idea but kept getting lost trying to figure the whole thing out, much clearer now.

re the 13tpi, maybe I could just get another change gear, if I could work it out?

but like you say not really a big deal.

Yes the feed is just from the lead screw, its not a very high spec lathe at all, but enough for me to get my 'feet wet' as it were, and decide if its for me.

If I get the bug and I think its growing :) but also find the skills, I would be more willing to part with some bigger $$'s n get something better with geared headstock, power cross feed etc.

This little thing will suffice for now, and if nothing else will be a handy tool to have even if I choose not to expand, but despite its origin, the headstock clocks true, 100%. The bed is flat, and in general I think its enough to get into the hobby and then move up if so desired.

cheers
wsippola

Post by wsippola »

Looks like you could cut 13 TPI with a 65 tooth gear on position E.

Wayne
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

wsippola wrote:Looks like you could cut 13 TPI with a 65 tooth gear on position E.

Wayne
Awesome,
I shall look into screw cutting shortly,
Thanks for info and tips.

Excellent forum, and nice to see all levels of expertise catered for,
Good job i dont feel out of my depth, whuch would be puddle sized at mo...lol

Thanks to all
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Looks like it may be a twin to my Grizzly G0602, except mine has a 12TPI leadscrew. My initial thought was check out a Grizzly manual, but I'm not sure how much help a Grizzly manual would be since that leadscrew difference changes all the ratios slightly.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Jawn wrote:Looks like it may be a twin to my Grizzly G0602, except mine has a 12TPI leadscrew. My initial thought was check out a Grizzly manual, but I'm not sure how much help a Grizzly manual would be since that leadscrew difference changes all the ratios slightly.
Yeah I thought that originally, but it is a copy of a chester db10g, and the manual is identical, but the screw cutting instruction is very vague chinglish.

But ive got my head round it now, also have a 51 tooth in change gears