Challenger Lathe 12 x 36

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hellbound

Challenger Lathe 12 x 36

Post by Hellbound »

Anyone have any experience with the Challenger 12 x 36 lathe?

spro

Re: Challenger Lathe 12 x 36

Post by spro »

Welcome to the board. My closest lathe is before yours but many here can read your lathe like a book. It appears to be improved version with camlock spindle, gear head and usable base with compartments. They went by many names. Like I said, folks here know what they are.
Fwiw I'll tell you about late 1980's or before. The only "new" lathe I bought was before yours. While I'm not complaining, it was interesting :? to see this model shortly afterward. Something evident and not discussed is the tailstock.
That same tailstock was reverse to yours and projected forward. I mean the casting was basically the same thing. It had to be bored out etc. but It actually made sense to have the point of center bearing inward.
It isn't a terrible machine at all and probably has a gap bed. Ymmv but you will find out.
John Evans

Re: Challenger Lathe 12 x 36

Post by John Evans »

Please post your general location in your profile . But as to your lathe it looks to be a typical China/Tiawan machine . It does have several features that make it a cut above the usual machine of that size. Cam lock spindle,gear head, Quick change box with it's own oil supply. May have a hardened bed,in all if not abused a very decent machine.
www.chaski.com