Collets

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AlanKay

Collets

Post by AlanKay »

Hi again,

I often need to work on small round sections, some threaded. I was considering using collets. I have a Morse 4 in the head stock.

I was thinking, is there an issue if I use the ER32 collet/morse with a draw bar to secure it ? The sellers say I should use the a lathe 5C collet set. I am not sure how these fit in or if additional parts are needed or even why use one above the other. Any ideas or comments appreciated.

Thanks
Alan
Magicniner

Re: Collets

Post by Magicniner »

For occasional small stuff I use my ER20 & ER32 collet chucks on MT2 shanks in 1" MT2 female parallel sleeve adapters, I'm sure collet chucks are available on straight shanks but I already had MT2 lying around as they fit my tailstock.
I hold the smaller ER collet chucks with the parallel sleeve adaptors in my lathe's native ER40 nose, or the 3-jaw chuck, or in the 4-jaw chuck for offset work.
I've never had the MT2 work loose on small work but the parallel sleeve adaptors are available with a through hole so you could fix in your chuck with a bolt, I use the through capacity when machining pins from a long length of rod,

- Nick
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think you would need 5MT to use 5C in the spindle.

You can get an ER collet chuck that is on a plate you can mount to a backplate. There are also 5C collet chucks like that.

The nice thing about these compared to a collet chuck on a taper shank is that you can pass stock thru the spindle up to the diameter of your spindle bore or the collet size, whichever is less.

Steve
Chipper5783

Post by Chipper5783 »

You could just make up and MT4 to C5 adapter and a draw bar. I did that on my 15" lathe (except MT5 to C5). That worked okay, but the lathe was not set up for this so the carriage wings would hit the head stock gear box. Not a big deal, I would just crank the compound out or reach with the tool. Sure that makes for overhang, but typically it was small diameter work - not a big deal. Also, I need to make up a knocking bar to remove the adapter (not a big deal, just one more step)

I got a nice little lathe, that is properly set up for collets (the headstock bored for C5). It works great, as the nose has been brought out over the bed - you can get the tools right up close.

I recently got a C5 chuck for that 15" lathe (yup, a trip to the auction). It is quite a bit handier than the adapter sleeve and drawbar. The chuck is on/off quick and easy and the work is out from the headstock so it is easy to get up close.

All those options work. Sort of demonstrates that there is more than one way to "get'er done".

If you want pictures (seems the server won't allow much for pictures), PM me your e-mail address.
David C. Lathes: Enterprise 1550, Smart & Brown 1024, Mills: Maho MH 600 x2, Cinci Toolmaster, Kasto hacksaw PSB 210, Grinders: Cinc#2 T&C, Ingar 618 SG all but the first came as projects, now they support an endless list of more projects. Good thing I have a day job!
Rex

Post by Rex »

ER32 is a good quick way to get a collet setup for small diameter work. As mentioned you won't be able to pass long stock through the spindle. That is where the 5C setup shines.
I would suggest you get the ER32 setup, and use it while you keep your eye out for a good deal on a 5C chuck and collets. It's goot to have both.

One more thing: You can buy a 5C collet block set for ~$30 or so. The hex body will fit in your 3-jaw chuck, and the square body in the 4-jaw. The latter is the most accurate. The drawback to this is it is unwieldy. You have to chuck up the part out of the lathe, then clamp the assembly in the chuck. Then dial in the 4-jaw.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
SteveM wrote:I think you would need 5MT to use 5C in the spindle.
All of the lathes with Morse Taper 4.5 spindles (that I know of) can
use 5C collets. For example, Clausing 5900 series, 6900 series and
Rockwell 11".

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

I have noticed the description of a collet as "C5" when it is a "5C" . Usually it is understood but there is a difference. The "C5" is a "5V" which is a Van Norman collet and has a maximum capacity of perhaps 11/16" . It is referred to as a "C" collet because the holding key is in the taper, extending through the face and looks like a letter "C".
There are folks with great Van Norman auxiliary heads and fixtures who would like to acquire C5/V5 for the price of "5C". :)
This already happened a few years ago. One man went to the trouble of selling the custom V5/C5 collets. I salute him. There was a special, yet small market for these and it was over.