Boley Tailstock

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GHWI

Boley Tailstock

Post by GHWI »

I have a Boley size 2 production lathe and I was hopeing that someone here would know what size and type of taper is in the tailstock.
I tried a MT 0 that was close but not right.

Glen
earlgo

Re: Boley Tailstock

Post by earlgo »

This was ripped from the Watch & Clockmaker's collector's site.
: Taper on watchmakers lathe tailstock? (RE: terofpa)

Good Day,

There is not a single defined standard but there were attempts to adhere to the rules that were set by some manufacturers themselves.

G. Boley, Leinen, Boley & Leinen, Lorch Schmidt, Wolf Jahn as well as many other each have picked a taper for their own use and only varied diameter of taper as needed for particular use.

Leinen, Boley & Leinen and G. Boley used for tailstock attachments taper defined by included angle of 3 1/2 degrees of arc (3� 30') and they still do it today.

For example:

Brown & Sharp defined their tapers #1 to #15, by 1/2" to 1' or 1:24 regardless of the taper diameter.

Jacobs is using tapers 1:20 and 1:12 that I know of.

G. Boley used 1:12 for colleted dead centres, male and female, while Whitcomb uses 1:14 for the same purpose and then again G. Boley uses the same taper as Whitcomb, 1:14, for the US market.

Difference between the two can be seen in markings e.g. G. Boley 1:12 tapered centre bearing collets are marked with "2". Like "G. Boley Germany2" marks collets with taper 1:12 while "G. Boley Germany" marks collets with taper 1:14.
:

Hope this helps some.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GHWI

Post by GHWI »

earigo,
Thanks for the info.
So is there anywhere that live centers or arbors for chucks that will fit my tailstock can be purchased, or does one have to make their own?
Thanks
Glen
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You might get lucky on ebay if you watch long enough. There are a number of parts there now.

Here is the link to the Boley site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/boley/

As to making a tailstock taper, I would think that any competent machine shop could make one given the information of 3-1/2 ° included angle for the taper. You would need to supply the information for what you would mount on it. AND, if I were doing it, I'd take the tailstock with me so the shop could make sure it fitted.

You haven't said if you have enough shop to do it yourself.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.