Help with Hardinge lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Kevin Mey

Help with Hardinge lathe

Post by Kevin Mey »

Greetings all,

The apron on my very old Hardinge lathe Jambs at each end of the travel as well as in the middle.
I think I need to remove the apron and inspect the rack under it, can anyone please advise?
Regards,
Kevin.
South Africa
Harold_V

Re: Help with Hardinge lathe

Post by Harold_V »

Seems a bit odd that it jambs in the middle, although I suppose most anything is possible when you don't quite understand what the problem is. Might not hurt to make mention of the model, or to include a picture, so readers understand the possibilities. And, I'd certainly take a look to see if the rack has chips embedded, causing binding. You may not have to remove anything to do that, so I'd make that my first investigation.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Kevin Mey

Re: Help with Hardinge lathe

Post by Kevin Mey »

Greetings Harold,
All the best for 2016 too you and the members of this site.
I managed to correct the problem, it turned out to be loose grub screws on the carriage drive motor worm gear.
As to the model and age, who knows, I believe that it was imported into South Africa around about 1950, serial number missing as are most of the original equipment.
Thank you for the time you put in

Regards,
Kevin