Soft Jaw Capable Chuck for G4000

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mikeehlert

Re: Soft Jaw Capable Chuck for G4000

Post by mikeehlert »

earlgo wrote:WesHowe's calculation of the force of the vacuum is an important number if you are pulling the part straight away from the surface. However, the part can slide more easily. Think wringing together of gage blocks: you can slide them apart but cannot pull them apart.
So, if you are going to experiment with the vacuum system, please remember to center the part with some sort of recess or locators so that the part does not 'frizbee' off through your shop.

--earlgo
'Everything is a subset of physics'
Yes!, no frizbee games in my shop. As the part is sort of pan shaped there will be a pedestal to retain the part. Vacuum applied to the inside of the pan bottom.

Thanks,

Mike
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mikeehlert wrote: Pictures: I wanted to post a picture at day one but the part is proprietary and just discussion on the forum is causing some angst.
Understood. Some times a guy simply can't tip his hand.

I have considered a couple other methods of performing the operation in the hopes of balancing things. Mounting a tool post grinder on the lathe and switching to a milling operation with a many toothed cutter. Any thoughts about those approaches?
Yep!
I'd be inclined to lose the multiple tooth idea, as each tooth lends to the problem. I'd likely endorse the tool post grinder idea, though (in spite of the fact that it is, in theory, a multiple tooth approach). Working as a tool maker, I often had an unusual requirement to fulfill, including shaping foam rubber. I still have a spare of one piece I had to make (made two in case one was scrapped during the process). I mounted a small air grinder in my tool post and ground a cavity in sponge rubber. Worked extremely well, and would have been impossible by turning.

If you use a coarse, hand dressed wheel (hand dressing is very important in this instance), that should present the lowest possible cutting pressure, and it has the potential to yield a great surface, although that's up to the operator.
In the mean time, I am getting materials for testing vacuum and/or double sticky tape.
I certainly endorse that approach. It's often difficult to determine which process will work best, so, especially if then job will repeat, or there's a large number of pieces involved, experimenting is likely the best approach. Tough jobs often resolve themselves that way.

By the way, discounting tape can be a mistake. I recall an instance of tape being the only solution to an ongoing problem, which I'll relate.

I started in the trade back in '57, at Sperry Utah Engineering Laboratories. We were involved in the R&D stage of the Sergeant Guided Missile, which was a ballistic missile. Strange is it may sound, it had brakes, which were used to control the destiny of the missile, and that's the interesting part of this story.

As a part of the brake assembly, a thin magnesium bridge casting had to be machined, and held to .005" flatness. Any fixturing that was tried resulting in minor distortion, making it impossible to hold the .005" flatness. In desperation, tape was tried, and it worked perfectly well, although it demanded extremely fine cuts. They learned to rough the parts, then go back for finish cuts. Problem solved.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

Harold_V wrote:
mikeehlert wrote:
By the way, discounting tape can be a mistake. I recall an instance of tape being the only solution to an ongoing problem, which I'll relate.

I started in the trade back in '57, at Sperry Utah Engineering Laboratories. We were involved in the R&D stage of the Sergeant Guided Missile, which was a ballistic missile. Strange is it may sound, it had brakes, which were used to control the destiny of the missile, and that's the interesting part of this story.

As a part of the brake assembly, a thin magnesium bridge casting had to be machined, and held to .005" flatness. Any fixturing that was tried resulting in minor distortion, making it impossible to hold the .005" flatness. In desperation, tape was tried, and it worked perfectly well, although it demanded extremely fine cuts. They learned to rough the parts, then go back for finish cuts. Problem solved.

Harold
Back when I was young, I made electronic component parts for that and several of it's successors. I attribute my current lack of hair to those parts.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Just be aware that all double sided tape isn't created equal Mike. The consumer grade has far less "stick" than some of the commercial grades. I've used that method to hold some 4" dia. brass plates for polishing.

3" diameter? You could machine a backplate to fit your spindle, bolt some stock to that, then machine the proper taper and hole size to take a 5C blank collet. Then use a draw bar to close the collet if your spindle hole is large enough. Or maybe just buy a 5C collet chuck. I believe you can get the blank collets up to about 6" in diameter. There made to do exactly what your wanting to if your part isn't too thick. Without seeing the exact part shape that's the best I can come up with, but am unsure if it would work in your case.

Pete
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

pete wrote:Just be aware that all double sided tape isn't created equal Mike. The consumer grade has far less "stick" than some of the commercial grades.

Pete
Thanks for the reminder

Mike