Atlas Lathe Model 3983 12 in or Craftsman professional mode.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Atlas Lathe Model 3983 12 in or Craftsman professional mode.

Post by earlgo »

Here is another question for you owners of the Atlas Flexible flyer.
headstock.pdf
(59.73 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

In the attached (view at 50%) the headstock clamp and hardware is boxed in red. Can someone tell me where this clamp is in relation to either the front or rear outside surface of the headstock. I cannot locate the one on my lathe and I am fearing that it is in a place that can't be reached without turning the lathe over. Remember that my version has a Maple plank 1-5/8 thick and a chip/coolant tray sandwiched between the cast legs and the lathe feet.
A dimension sure would help. If it is hidden but I knew where it was, perhaps a hole could be drilled thru the plank so the tightness could be checked.
TIA.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Re: Atlas Lathe Model 3983 12 in or Craftsman professional m

Post by earlgo »

The clamp is located under the little metal shield directly attached to the lower headstock by a machine screw. Mine was covered with 50 years of crud and I never knew it was there until I noticed the shield on the parts list.
clamp.JPG
HEADSTOCK BOLTS.jpg
Now to find a wrench to reach it with.
But enough of this nonsense.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Re: Atlas Lathe Model 3983 12 in or Craftsman professional m

Post by spro »

A box head, off- set wrench did go in there or was modified to fit. Many of the old ones were ground at the shank and sliced at the ring to fit certain jobs.