Grizzly and South Bend Lathes

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Grizzly and South Bend Lathes

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Made a trip up to the a Grizzly Tools showroom in Bellingham last week, as I was fanticizing about buying a new SB lathe. I looked at the new South Bend lathes that grizzly now makes and sells- specifically the SB 10" and 16" lathes. Very nice machines. The SB 10 is on sale, around $3700 -$3800 or thereabouts.

Then I noticed the Grizzly 10" and 16" lathes - they seemed to be identical, except SB is painted grey, Grizzly painted Green. But all the parts and castings are clearly identical, even the finish on the ways etc.

Does anybody know if there is any real difference between the two brands of lathes? The SB 10 has a rave review from a production shop, so no doubt a great lathe. BUt, if they are indeed the same lathe, the Grizzly would be superb also?? No? If so, what would make the SB worth more, except for the brand name?

I went to ask the salespeople, but suddenly there were 10 people at the counter, and I didn't want to wait as I had a long drive back home.

Just curious...

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
10KPete

Re: Grizzly and South Bend Lathes

Post by 10KPete »

I'd bet money that they are the same machines bar the paint.

Pete
Just tryin'
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Since I live 2 miles from the Springfield, MO. Grizzly warehouse I go there quite often and speak with some of the employees. As I understand the Grizzly/SB issue, when Grizzly bought SB it moved production overseas. Supposedly the SB machines get more attention to detail than the Grizzly and therefore the higher cost.

The castings are made in the same plant as far as I can find out! Now, it is a fact that the overseas manufacturing will and can make machines to different specs and they will look pretty much the same. You may have noticed that Shop Fox and several other name brands have machines that look identical to the Grizzly machines. Paint is different but so is the fit and finish. They cost more as well.

Se here is how it works: !0 castings are made for a lathe. All the ones with no casting flaws go out for to the higher end name brands. All the ones with casting flaws are not turned to scrap but are body filled and painted grizzly green. They look the same! (until you start drilling on them)

Quality cost money, seconds are well, just that and may well do all that you need if you are a home machinist.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

If you search for country of manufacture origin of the machines sold by Grizzly, differences show up.
China vs Taiwan. And the Taiwanese machines seem to be of higher quality: Hardened ways and beds, for example.
There may be significant quality differences in the finished machines.

The Grizzly 14-40 lathe I will be acquiring is Chinese made. The several owners of same that I have communicated with are all very pleased with the operation of this lathe. It should meet my non-commercial needs quite nicely.
The SouthBend milling machine I will also acquire is Taiwanese made. The on-board phase converter, analog speed control, plus 3-axis DRO all boost the price accordingly.

I'll be able to share more by July, assuming my life (and new knee) goes smoothly between now and then!
~RN
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I guess I should have said "some Grizzly machines are made in Taiwan while others are made in China".

For example, Grizzly has a Mill that is made in Taiwan that is variable speed driven and having looked it over first hand I would love to have one. Quality, fit and finish are better than the standard "Green" ones. But then so is the price!

Grizzly has some very good products and they also make some cheap junk.

Unfortunately my taste run toward the more expensive toys (even when I could get by with something cheaper) if you know what I mean.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you're thinking about Taiwan, look at Eisen Machinery.

The South Bend stuff seems pricey even for Taiwan.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

There is a regular ad in Modern Machine Shop for South Bend Lathes, from what has been posted here they do not appear to be the same company?
Attachments
SB002.jpg
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I believe the SB "Turn-Nado" series were made in Brazil, but evidently now made in Taiwan.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote:I believe the SB "Turn-Nado" series were made in Brazil, but evidently now made in Taiwan.
If they are, it's likely an improvement.
Back in '66/'67 I was employed in a shop where a SB Turnado was part of the stable of lathes. That damned thing was down more than it was up. Fragile, easy to hurt, and clumsy to operate. Didn't help me with my attitude towards SB lathes, which have never held a soft spot in my heart.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

A variety of interesting comments! I can say I saw a minor flaw on the grizzly bed casting that was not present on the SB - a rough edge underneath the way, at the turn of the bed at foot, that was either ground off or not present on the SB casting. So I can see how the SB lathes would get the better castings. I heard bearing manufacturers do this for precision bearings that go into lathe headstock - the best, tightest bearings are mixed closely and set aside as 'precision' bearings, whereas the ones with looser production tolerance are sold over the counter as standard bearings...

I suppose if I really got interested in buying a new lathe I would go ask if the internal components are finished better, or upgraded in some way.

As it turned out, I lucked into a new 1929 9"x48" quick change gear box tool room lathe as a Craig's list barn find last week, so out of the market for the time being. I say 'new' as it is actually a new lathe, just 92 years old. The original japaning finish is in excellent condition, and the ways still clearly exhibit original scraping markings from the factory. The seller showed me the original bill of sale from Oct, 1924 and explained his uncle used it for wood working once in awhile, before putting the lathe into storage 50 years ago! It's been preserved with sawdust and a bit of oil ever since. So I think my quality small lathe needs have been fulfilled.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Glenn Brooks wrote:As it turned out, I lucked into a new 1929 9"x48" quick change gear box tool room lathe as a Craig's list barn find last week, so out of the market for the time being. I say 'new' as it is actually a new lathe, just 92 years old. The original japaning finish is in excellent condition, and the ways still clearly exhibit original scraping markings from the factory. The seller showed me the original bill of sale from Oct, 1924 and explained his uncle used it for wood working once in awhile, before putting the lathe into storage 50 years ago! It's been preserved with sawdust and a bit of oil ever since. So I think my quality small lathe needs have been fulfilled.
You know the rules - PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :-)

Steve
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Glenn Brooks wrote:I lucked into a new 1929 9"x48" quick change gear box tool room lathe as a Craig's list barn find last week, so out of the market for the time being. I say 'new' as it is actually a new lathe, just 92 years old. The original japaning finish is in excellent condition, and the ways still clearly exhibit original scraping markings from the factory. The seller showed me the original bill of sale from Oct, 1924 and explained his uncle used it for wood working once in awhile, before putting the lathe into storage 50 years ago! It's been preserved with sawdust and a bit of oil ever since. So I think my quality small lathe needs have been fulfilled.
Sounds like a great acquisition! If it is that old, I believe that
the spindle is going to be a 1-3/8" x 10tpi instead of the more
popular 1-1/2" x 8tpi spindle nose.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb