Need help with Sheldon lathe wiring

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

beeser

Need help with Sheldon lathe wiring

Post by beeser »

A friend of mine removed the motor on his Sheldon 13" lathe and unfortunately didn't completely identify the wires properly before disassembly. I know nothing about wiring motors and he doesn't know how to use the internet. So any help that can be provided would be appreciated. The motor is made by Peerless and is 220V, single phase. It has 3 wires coming out of a junction box to another smaller junction box. There are other wires in the larger junction box connected to a capacitor but they were not disturbed. The drum switch is a Furnas P2532 with 6 wires going to 6 connectors. The lower ring of the switch cylinder seems independent of the upper 2 rings. How are the 3 wires from the motor, 6 from the switch and 2 from the power source connected?
spro

Re: Need help with Sheldon lathe wiring

Post by spro »

I would like to be more helpful as I wired one last year. It was a different motor though, with T1-T6. I had a very good motor book, which I couldn't find (of course) so I went to Bing images about drum switch wiring. I think they are mostly the same except power factor. The ring you describe as independent has the black power wire on it. There is a jumper wire going to the next ring contact. The other two rings have tie bars or contact between them when the switch is reversed. With this in mind, looking at various diagrams which apply, you will see what is happening. The rings with the tie bars are reversing the black to white of the capacitor start field when in reverse position.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

may be this will help

https://www.google.com/search?q=reversi ... tN-NXYM%3A

diagrams for furnance drum switches are here
spro

Post by spro »

As hammermill has supplied a reference link you see many ways of dealing with different motors. I read some info which says not all of these switches are arranged the same. Your P 2532 may already have a jumper for the single phase layout. I think we both have dual voltage motors and the motor fields are tied differently because this one is 115v and yours, 220v. So in this case, the diagrams can be narrowed down. I see the tie bar path called "forward" but it could be reverse as long as forward is opposite. One thing is certain, the capacitor box/relay is on one side of the start field. The other end of that field and out of capacitor/limit switch etc are being reversed. There is an interruption before this occurs AND there is no potential connected to any field or cap, when in "Off".