Jet 1236P

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Elmojo

Re: Jet 1236P

Post by Elmojo »

I meant no slight on the awesomeness of the board or the technical capabilities of its users. My comment was that it's 'odd' to find a message board with much of any restrictions on file dimensions these days. There usually are file size limits, especially in aggregate, but that's about it.
It's no problem, I can work around it, I just find that high resolution images do in fact, by definition, how more detail than smaller images.

Anyway, back on topic... as soon as I can get the photos of the gearbox off my phone, I'll size them down and post them, no sweat.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

Ok, here are the photos of the gearbox, and the mangled gear in question. It's a little hard to see with all the gunk in the way, but it's the small gear to the left of the center divider with the ground wire (is that what that is?) that's bad off.
The right side of the case has a snap ring, but I don't see any other obvious thing holding that shaft in place.
Anyone know the proper method of disassembly for that shaft and the associated gearing?
Any advice appreciated.
-Mike
Attachments
20170825_231651.jpg
20170826_154451.jpg
20170826_154500.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

What does the left end of the case look like where the shaft would possibley come out? You may need to disconnect lead screw and feed rod and switch rod and remove the complete case from the lathe. If there is clearance to the left remove snap ring and try driving the shaft to the left .
www.chaski.com
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

Thanks for the suggestions John, but I'm not really looking for a trial and error method. I'm hoping someone here might have performed this very task, and can state with certainty the proper way to disassemble the gearbox without damaging (or losing) anything. This lathe is the pride of my shop (sad, I know) and I can't afford to break it, since I wouldn't be able to replace it.
Needcoffee

Post by Needcoffee »

Go download the Grizzly G9429 manual. It is essentially the exact same lathe. Use the exploded view drawing to locate your snap rings. Etc... I used that manual to overhaul my Jet 1236PS. There are a couple minor differences in lever/controls locations. But heck I bought the follow rest for the g9429 and it worked like a champ. That is not a ground wire. It is a felt oil lubrication string.
Needcoffee

Post by Needcoffee »

Use kerosene to clean all the gunk. Then use oil to lubricate those gears from now on as per the book.

Hope that helps.
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

Thanks for the follow-up guys.
I finally just gave up and jumped in. I drove out the shaft with a little more force than I was comfortable with, and it popped out, taking the sealed right side bearing with it. From there, it was a simple matter of pulling off all the gears, identifying the mangled one, and ordering a replacement from Grizzly.
I installed the replacement part and put it all back together. It seems to be working fine now. It was a bit of a nervous process, going at it blind, with no guidance, but I got it done.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Another job Well Done.
Good Go, Mate.
~RN
Albindf

Post by Albindf »

Hello everyone, I'm very new to machining so new in fact the I have just purchased a jet 1236ps lathe that is a subject of this thread. I have begun taking it down to clean off all the carmelized grease and oil, and to also remove surface rust. So far I have removed the cross feed carrier and tool past holder. But I know I need to remove the chuck and spindle ti clean rust off the spindle drive gears and pulley. But to be honest since I am very new I'm terrified at the thought of doing this since I have literally just got in to machining. Any guidance you all can help me with is greatly appreciated. I really want to get started making chips and unnecessary mess to educate myself in this realm. Does anyone have a tear down walkthrough or blog on this machine to help a noob out?
Elmojo

Post by Elmojo »

I asked a similar question, and have searched all over the interwebs, and found nothing.
Your best option is to use the manual as a guide, and just take a stab at it yourself. If you are careful, keep good records of what you pull from where, and don't get in a hurry, you should be ok. One good thing about this machine is that is nearly all mechanical, so there's very little electrical/electronic components to fiddle with and easily break. If you don't have a copy of the original manual, I can send it to you. It has some decent diagrams and parts lists that might help you.
By way of encouragement, I will say that this is my 3rd lathe, and by far my favorite. It does everything I ask of it, and the operation isn't finicky like my dad's 14x40 Chinese lathe. Once you get it cleaned and tuned up, you'll have a truly decent machine to learn on. :)
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I'll offer one piece of advice, when removing a spindle from its
bearings, mark the relative position of the inner race of the bearing
in regard to its position on the spindle. Sometimes, spindles are
ground after bearings are installed and unless the bearings are
re-mounted exactly where they used to be, you may have a greater
amount of run-out than you did before. No bearing runs dead true.
Precision bearings will have the least amount of run-out but bearing
orientation is critical to maintaining accuracy.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
agshooter

Post by agshooter »

Howdy all, just wanted to pop in this thread. I am looking at a Jet 1236P as my first lathe. I found one under $1K and may go look at it. Anything in particular on this to look for, run away from? Is tooling common or hard to come by?
Thank you!