How To Run A Lathe - in 1925

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

How To Run A Lathe - in 1925

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thinking about powering my 1925 SB 9" lathe this way. Along with an old two speed drill press and maybe a buffing wheel.

Anybody have an old in line belt driven counter shaft lying around they aren't using??
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Source: How to Run A Lathe, No. 25, South Bend Company, 1925
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Magicniner

Re: How To Run A Lathe - in 1925

Post by Magicniner »

You can't beat a nice bit of shafting in the workshop!

;-)

- Nick
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The Sebastian and May I got at an estate sale was powered by a line shaft. It had the big drive pulley and also had the reversing sheaves intact. I donated them to the local blacksmith group for their yearly auction. But this was 20 or 25 years ago. Too bad, as I would have given them to you.
That equipment has got to be hard to come by this day and age when VFDs are prevalent.
Good luck with your search.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You're not allowed to wear safety glasses with those machines.

I can't get over the things I've seen in old machining videos. Milling, grinding, turning...you name it...no glasses. I would have been blind in a month.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This is the lashup I have on the Sebastian and May. I used this from about 1975 to about 1995 when the Atlas became my friend. The countershaft, sleeve bearing hangars and wooden step pulley are what were in use when I got it. I made the v-belt pulley from plywood and the motor is down below out of sight. The crude handle between the lathe and the countershaft (with the string on it) pulls the link that tightens the belt.
OSHA would love this setup. I still use this for the odd job when the Atlas is tied up, but mostly it is an 8" disk sander.
Sebastian and May.JPG
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Earl go, you certainly have a unique setup! And very nice looking countershaft brackets. The real McCoys!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mr. Brooks:
Here is a better picture of the bracket. It is about 6-1/2 wide, 7 to the centerline and opposite the bolt there is a spur cast into the frame to catch another hole in the bushing. There is an oil hole in the top of the bushing.
hanger.JPG
I can do more dims and details if you are interested.

--earlgo
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote:You're not allowed to wear safety glasses with those machines.
I think it's also required that you wear a long-sleeve jacket and a tie.

SteveHGraham wrote:I would have been blind in a month.
Stop it, you'll ...

nevermind.

Steve