bent shaft

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: bent shaft

Post by ctwo »

8mm diameter? I would probably slowly inch it out of the lathe chuck and make corrective bends while manually turning the chuck. I've done very well straightening heavy copper wire by rolling it on a flat surface that I could pound on (could easily see the gaps to the table surface).
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

You will never get it as good as you want, but one of the problems of bending/unbending by hand is to controll where the actual torque is applied.
I found that by slipping a close fitted length of pipe up to the point and controlling the point free from the vise help in locating the torque where you want it.
Otherwise the result is to partially remove one bend here and create two new bends somewhere around.
By the way I did the same with a 3/8 drill rod and was shaking for hours afterward, I did not even try to fix it, cut it close to the bend an taped a note "Bent". I can use it for short parts that can be turned down but the note keep me from using it for a shaft or something that needs be straight.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Thanks for the input guys, basically I used a bit of all the appreciated advice, the job is ok, but the spin offs are a giggle......... Immediately contrite, and irritated with myself scratched in my scrap box and found a suitable piece but in stainless steel and made a "catshead". The next day I had call from the butcher asking to have look at his sausage making machine .......for which I needed a piece of stainless steel to effect the repair!!!!!!! now we know were the stainless is don,t we. Murphy at his best. Thks Golfpin
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Lesson learned. After the accident I realized the need for a bushing for the spindle left end to keep the part centered and increase a little bit the safe length.
A quality wine cork (which I produce regularly) fits snugly my small late spindle.
Grabbed several in the 3J chuck and drilled in 16" increments, sanded a flat and labeled for size.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Wine in Texas!!!!!.......tequila surely or Buds enjoy.... hasta la vista.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Texas think they are producing some fine wine, judging from the price. In reality is pretty average.
I am not a TX native, do not care for Tequila, beer is OK. In my heritage is wine: red wine, white wine, rose` wine, still wine, bubbly wine, dry wine, sweet wine sparingly, fortified wine like port... you get the idea.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX