Help identifying this Atlas lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Help identifying this Atlas lathe

Post by spro »

I appreciate it also. For example; Gary has the heavy version of this lathe but they are more rare to me. He shows the head cover open and DANG! They had a planetary reduction in there! I never knew this and it takes the place of the co shaft/ gears I was talking about.
I would suggest taking some cash when you pick it up. I looked closer at that stand and really admire the way is was built. The legs aren't parallel but angle cut and braced just right. So if he wants to keep the bench you must understand it still great to get the lathe and parts of it. Happy trip :)
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

No planetary there SPRO see the attached link. All the step pulleys were in the bottom.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

OH. I see now, thanks. This was another thing I didn't realize about the 3000 model until you provided that link. I saw that drum thing and it registered as something I'd seen before on smaller and similar machines. I should have noticed more, like that double pulley. Good stuff.
Lathe's a bench :)