Cam lock removal

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Cam lock removal

Post by Harold_V »

I tend to agree with John---WD40 behaves as a solvent, but it contains residue that isn't. I'd suggest mineral spirits or something similar (paint thinner is usually mineral spirits), assuming you don't have brake cleaner. Not suggesting that most any hydrocarbon won't work, for it will, but if you wish to dissolve oil or grease, starting with one that leaves no residue is in your best interest.

And---if you happen to have compressed air, don't be bashful about putting it to use. It, too, will drive out contaminants that might not be otherwise freed. Were the problem mine, I'd apply solvent, work the locks numerous times, blow them clean and repeat until they functioned smoothly. Then a touch of Vactra.

The best scenario is to remove them, assuming you can. Once cleaned, I'd apply a thin film of white grease (instead of Vactra). It is less likely to be flung from speed, and will lubricate longer. I suggested Vactra if they aren't removed, because it will penetrate in good time, retaining enough to prevent a dry connection.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.