4 way tool post identification

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Abrackeen

4 way tool post identification

Post by Abrackeen »

Hello all,

I just purchased a Southbend 9A that came with a huge amount of tooling. Since I had most of the tooling I needed already I figured I'd probably sell the extras. One thing that I have never seen was a 4 way toolpost like this. There are no distinguishable markings on top so I figured I'd ask y'all for help. Any thoughts on this or how much to ask?

Thanks,
Austin
Attachments
IMG_20160822_181940320-min__1471908704_108.238.38.4.jpg
John Evans

Re: 4 way tool post identification

Post by John Evans »

In my opinion .50 as I hate that style post ! Put it on Ebay starting at .99 and see where it goes. It is a interesting style ,never seen one just like it.shop made ???
www.chaski.com
Abrackeen

Post by Abrackeen »

I'm honestly not sure. There are some faded stamps on top that can't be read. What got me about this one was that the spring loaded cam lock post.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I haven't seen anything like it either. The handle
on top looks like the tailstock ram locking lever for
a 9 inch SBL.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

I've never seen one mounted on top of the chuck like that. Heeheehee
spro

Post by spro »

Oh sure. That one is in mid rotation. They only swing about 200* Very slowly HAH!. Back to that toolpost,,; I'd like to know how it works.
Abrackeen

Post by Abrackeen »

I'll see if I can't give you a decent description when I get home. Every time I go into the crate that has all the spare tooling that came with this lathe I find something I've never seen before.

It had been in the family I bought it from since it was new. The great grandfather was a jeweler if I remember correctly, so that explains some of the odd tooling. The grandfather was a mechanical engineer, so that explains the far fetched stuff I've never seen. The parents never used the machine and handed it down to the son. The son looked like a dope head and said he didn't care a single iota about the history of the machine, and if I would give him the small amount of cash he needed for "things" I could come haul it off with the stipulation that i take everything.

Edit: I did speak with the parents before purchasing the machine and they were just happy it would go to someone who would appreciate it. They also offered to bring me the original shipping box on their next trip through Fort Worth. Makes me a little sad for them, but I definitely do and will appreciate the machine and the offer of the original shipping box.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Never feel bad about a deal like that. :wink: You did the right thing by asking the parents before taking the deal. :wink: :) Many people would have not. :roll:

Jack.
Last edited by JackF on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
spro

Post by spro »

I agree completely and it would antagonize me to operate otherwise.