shen wai winchester lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

attie

shen wai winchester lathe

Post by attie »

I have purchased a Shen Wai Winchester lathe still in a good condition. Unfortunately I have no literature on the machine. Is there anybody who can help ? It is a model no 250 built in 1980. Any help what ever will be highly appreciated. My contact details are :
attie@clypac.co.za :D :D :D
SteveM

Re: shen wai winchester lathe

Post by SteveM »

I would do a google search, go to images and see if a picture matches yours.

If you find a picture, go to the website for the picture and you might get some information.

It is possible that it was marketed under other names. If you post some pictures and let us know what size it is, maybe someone will recognize it.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

look under Chen wai or Chen wei or Shenwai.

not sure where 'winchester' comes from...probably an Anglicized word from something in Chinese.

it is a lathe that comes from Taiwan (you probably know that..)

I have a 'SELECT' lathe of about that vintage that shares a lot of similar parts...as do many of the lathes from Taiwan of that vintage....as mentioned, these machines are sold under a dozen different names in as many countries.

I have no idea how they would be marketed in ZA.

Most of those lathes were made up of parts manufactured all over Taiwan (cottage industry style), assembled and sold under many names. Tracing specific parts after 35+ years will be darn near impossible.

good luck getting parts even if you have a specific part number. Other than v-belts and ball bearings and possibly some standard change-gears...

General rule: NEVER purchase a used lathe from Asia if it needs parts unless you are wiling to make them yourself unless it is from a distributor who has been in business for a LONG TIME and stocks parts.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
spro

Post by spro »

Bill's info got me to check "shenwai lathe" on the net. Some of the pics/links was to our site here and at P.M.
The combined info results in some conclusions which pertain to the Enco lathe of another topic. These are all Shenwai of different models. My Enco 1236p is a Shenwai 900b . This style has 3 traverse "rods" if the pic is fuzzy. Lead screw, fine feed/cross feed, motor control (FNR) rods. It has a flat slanted face with pwr switch, pwr indicator and jog. The feed direction is shifted by FNR lever on the face and the other lever shifts the QC drive to the lead screw or fine feed shaft. This is different from the earlier model which shares the same type bed, carriage and tailstock design. There was also the "short" bed versions of these with different #s.
spro

Post by spro »

The lower rod/ shaft controls the motor drive from the right side of the apron. It is reverse/ off/forward. It may have a lever. This only controls the motor direction. This is important when cutting metric threads. I can put the metric gears at the left side and always use one number of the thread dial to reengage. That was one way. This thing was made for noting the setting, backing out the infeed and throwing into reverse. Resetting the infeed and throw it forward again by the handle, lever at the right of the apron.
spro

Post by spro »

I have tried to edit. The lathe I have is Enco 1236B .