Monarch 10EE on Monarch website

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stephenc

Re: Monarch 10EE on Monarch website

Post by stephenc »

A fun fact .. monarch does not make new castings for the 10ee' s they still sell.
They simply buy old machines and remanufacture them with new drives, spindles , gears and bed . Along with absolutely anything it may need to get back to 100%

Imagine what the price would be with a new casting
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A hundred grand for a used lathe?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That's how they keep the cost so low.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

That has to keep used prices inflated a bit, as well.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was thinking that. Imagine bidding against these characters on Ebay.

Retiree Machinist: "If I go without insulin, I can raise my bid to $4000."

Monarch Minion: "We're getting what? A hundred grand for a REFURB? BID $20,000!!!!"
spro

Post by spro »

Triggered me, bro! If you don't like the prices, get out of the way. There was a certain time and certain combination in a certain America to build these machines. Some people don't hang art on the wall. It is right there where you can feel and be part of it while creating parts.
spro

Post by spro »

Either way, certain things appreciate. The fact that the originals are being rebuilt means that there isn't a viable alternative which is American.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's sort of like replacing dead actors with CGI.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote:equal performance can be achieved via CNC, at a MUCH lower price
Harold, a relative newbie, with all due respect to your experience, asks: surely there is something that a tool room quality lathe is better suited to than a CNC machine?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Better suited to a machinist with no CNC experience , who wants to do precision turning. The machinist who has no interest in learning how to program a CNC. Better suited to a shop doing precision prototype work/ small quantity runs that doesn't require a CNC.
I have CNC equipment , and if I had the extra cash laying around I might buy one( Monarch 10ee) .... I'll probably have to settle for a used one instead....OH Well!

Nyle
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote:
Harold_V wrote:equal performance can be achieved via CNC, at a MUCH lower price
Harold, a relative newbie, with all due respect to your experience, asks: surely there is something that a tool room quality lathe is better suited to than a CNC machine?
Not really. And, please keep in mind---I adore the Monarch EE (and Monarch lathes, in general). Problem is, it can't do anything that a decent CNC can do, and is unable to do a huge number of things a CNC is able to do, and the cost is far and beyond the cost of a decent CNC. It's almost painful for me to make that statement, as I'm a dyed in the wool manual machinist---but I have enough CNC experience to know that they're nearly impossible to beat. If they are programmed properly, they do what they're supposed to do, an do it without taking smoking breaks, and without complaint. And, today, programming can be quite easy.

Ever considered how you'd generate a tapered pipe thread on a lathe? Without a taper attachment, you're pretty much out of luck. Not a problem with a CNC. That's just one of a huge number of things you can do with a CNC that you struggle to accomplish with a manual lathe.

Need to generate a large corner radius? Piece of cake with a CNC---but borders on the impossible with a manual lathe. There's more. Lots more.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Harold_V wrote:Ever considered how you'd generate a tapered pipe thread on a lathe? Without a taper attachment, you're pretty much out of luck. Not a problem with a CNC. That's just one of a huge number of things you can do with a CNC that you struggle to accomplish with a manual lathe
I was thinking about tapered threads the other day. I saw an amazing log splitter on Youtube. It was a small motor that turned a cone-shaped screw. As soon as the operator jammed a log against the tip of the rotating screw, it bit in and split the log instantly. The diameter of the screw was bigger on the motor end, so it forced the wood apart as it entered the log.

Can't do that by angling a compound slide. You have to use the half-nut. To use a taper attachment, you would have to have one that would do very steep angles.

I found a video of this type of log splitter.