Monarch 10EE on Monarch website

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RCW

Monarch 10EE on Monarch website

Post by RCW »

I was surprised to find that the 10EE is listed on the Monarch website. No price given, however. http://www.monarchlathe.com/sites/defau ... Series.pdf
Wonder what they charge? ['Fraid to think!]
--Bob
BadDog

Re: Monarch 10EE on Monarch website

Post by BadDog »

If you have to ask...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While I have not made an inquiry, I expect they're well beyond the reach of the common man. When they were still built by the original Monarch Company, the price had reached about $100,000. I fully expect these wouldn't be any cheaper, although, for the shop with stringent demands, they certainly would be worth owning, assuming they have maintained the original quality.

Strangely, the price reflects the decreased purchasing power of the dollar. Back in '67, when I started my humble commercial shop, they were priced right at $10,000, which did not include chucks. A new house didn't cost all that much more.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Let me invite abuse by asking: why would anyone spend that much on a manual lathe? What do you get that's so wonderful? I don't really know much about the 10EE.

I see a short bed and a small swing. Not exciting. On the other hand, it has a 7.5-HP motor, which is around 5 times what I would expect for a lathe this small. It goes to 4000 RPM. Seems like a lot. Is the EE made for really small parts?

They got rid of the Art Deco lettering. That would be a deal-killer for me.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RCW

Post by RCW »

Steve:

I have a simple fix for your problem: Order two and give one to me. I'll talk them into using Art Deco on both. (I like it, too!) :wink:
--Bob
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Somehow that proposal is not appealing to me.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Nah. I wouldn't buy it..It only has #2MT tailstock. LOL
But seriously, this is/was near epitome super precision and Has To look cool. Consider the egg. Never seen a rectangular one.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:While I have not made an inquiry, I expect they're well beyond the reach of the common man. When they were still built by the original Monarch Company, the price had reached about $100,000. I fully expect these wouldn't be any cheaper, although, for the shop with stringent demands, they certainly would be worth owning, assuming they have maintained the original quality.
You aren't far off, Harold:
Monarch.jpg
Harold_V wrote:Strangely, the price reflects the decreased purchasing power of the dollar. Back in '67, when I started my humble commercial shop, they were priced right at $10,000, which did not include chucks. A new house didn't cost all that much more.
$10,000 in 1967 would be $72,283.83 today.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote:
Harold_V wrote:While I have not made an inquiry, I expect they're well beyond the reach of the common man. When they were still built by the original Monarch Company, the price had reached about $100,000. I fully expect these wouldn't be any cheaper, although, for the shop with stringent demands, they certainly would be worth owning, assuming they have maintained the original quality.
You aren't far off, Harold:
Monarch.jpg
Harold_V wrote:Strangely, the price reflects the decreased purchasing power of the dollar. Back in '67, when I started my humble commercial shop, they were priced right at $10,000, which did not include chucks. A new house didn't cost all that much more.
$10,000 in 1967 would be $72,283.83 today.

Steve
The problem is how they're now built. Monarch originally sold a lot of those EE's, so they were in daily production.
Notice the lead time in that quote? Just as has been the policy for some time now, they build on demand. I don't expect they sell many of them.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

First I wonder where they cast the entire structure now.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting question, although most likely not a big issue. In the day of live steam, huge frames for large locomotives were cast in steel (Union Pacific Northern, for example), including the cylinders. The EE is large to those of us who live in the regular world, but in the world of manufacturing it's but a trinket.

Harold
Carm

Post by Carm »

SteveHGraham wrote:Let me invite abuse by asking: why would anyone spend that much on a manual lathe? What do you get that's so wonderful? I don't really know much about the 10EE. (snip)
1st question, I doubt anyone would these days. A fully equipped 10EE compared to a modest CNC is a no-brainer for someone making chips for a living. The old dog likes the new chow.

2nd question, most lathes in that class vs.10EE is a Yugo to Maserati comparison, with the Maserati having Panzer tank rigidity.