How Russians Turn Tapered Threads

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: How Russians Turn Tapered Threads

Post by tornitore45 »

No experience spitting wood, but seems the screw would be slower that an hydraulic wedge type.
Would only make a difference commercially.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you have no experience, look at some Youtubes of hydraulic splitters.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I have actually some experience "spitting" wood :oops: But no desire to handle an ax.
I do know how an hydraulic splitter work, I have seen them working, some can even quarter the logs.
What I am saying is that they may be faster to load and stroke than a screw type which is an advantage for guy in a hurry, like one that does it for a living.
A screw type seem much safer.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

How to get 'er done.....screw auger not required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

tornitore45 wrote:I have actually some experience "spitting" wood :oops: But no desire to handle an ax.
I do know how an hydraulic splitter work, I have seen them working, some can even quarter the logs.
What I am saying is that they may be faster to load and stroke than a screw type which is an advantage for guy in a hurry, like one that does it for a living.
A screw type seem much safer.
You should look at some videos of hydraulic splitters and see how slow they are, not to mention how cumbersome and expensive.
spro

Post by spro »

There are larger and more efficient ways but to me, was the thread form. I watched a few videos and some are turned RH. The thread is a ramp thread(other name) and once it gets in the wood, it plows ahead. I think in some videos they paid particular attention to the nose thread, for it gains entry. After that, the wood is going to be split by the thread behind it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

We always see videos of machines working well; the footage of them misbehaving are usually edited out.
I suspect the screws occasionally get stuck. Of course, a reservable motor isn't a complex thing...
My lathe will also run the slotted shaft and lead screw simultaneously. Actually, the slotted shaft runs from the lead screw drive, so to use the power feed the lead screw must be engaged.
My machinist friend in India made tapered threads by hand turning the cross feed while threading. He did this for pipe threads and once made a custom thread for me that way [20 mm tapered to self seal into an aluminum engine block for an oil return line from a turbo. We used that size because he had a tap for the hole].
Even I have done a few 1/2" male tapered pipe fittings. they seal on flange so it didn't need great accuracy, but they came out looking OK.
Maybe my lack of experience was helpful! I just imagined my Indian machinist doing the job and tried to do what he did.
Someone had ordered the wrong female hydraulic fittings, tapered instead of straight thread.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've read that the screw splitters bend shafts unless you hold the logs vertically.