Center drilling (More basic questions)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Center drilling (More basic questions)

Post by Harold_V »

My opinion only. As stated, the tailstock would best be addressed as having a quill, readily differentiating that portion of the machine as opposed to the spindle of the headstock.

One uses the term quill to distinguish a component that rotates, from one that does not. A drop spindle mill (BP type machine) has a quill in which a spindle is housed. The spindle rotates, the quill does not, just as it does not rotate in a lathe tailstock.

All of my raving is related to holding a piece in a chuck or collet. Working between centers, although slower and more demanding of one's efforts, is akin to precision grinding, whereby the workpiece, once created to run on center by holding the material close to the end and drilling and/or boring the center, will yield a piece that runs true.

If an axle is machined by holding the material in a chuck, pretty good chance that when the wheels are assembled, they won't be perpendicular, or parallel with one another. The degree of error is drastically enhanced by the diameter of the wheels in question. Therefore, if one hopes for the best possible condition, the material would be held with soft jaws or a collet, extended enough for facing and center drilling, then reversed, cut to length and center drilled again. Minor error in the centers will most likely not be an issue, as they will be in relatively close alignment with one another. The axle then machined between centers, using a protective pad of aluminum or copper under the dog on the machined end, to protect the finish. An axle so machined, assuming one holds dimensions correctly, should assemble with a properly prepared wheel and run not only concentric, but perpendicular. That's assuming care is exercised in starting the axle if pressed. If assembled by heat shrink, the results should be VERY acceptable.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I agree that "quill" is more appropriate where the tailstock is
concerned. It is the term I usually use (except when discussing
SBL's). I just mentioned it because it isn't "universally" accepted
by all that this part is a "quill." I been in this debate before
on other sites. The SBL forum on PM uses "spindle" because this
is the nomenclature used by SBL. I don't mean to hijack this
thread but calling it a spindle isn't unheard of. I just wanted
the fact that some manufacturers call it a "spindle" to be known.
To me, it is a "quill."

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

"Ram" is also used (not by me).
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I appreciate the knowledge. Thank you.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

I use "ram" for the tailstock element because it is. I'm not making a big deal about it, for I know what others call the same thing. If I understand them, they understand me. A "quill" is a housing with a spindle and bearings. One part is a ram (the outside) with rack teeth or screw feed to advance the unit. This is old nomenclature.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The best nomenclature, IMHO.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I just read in a book, "Machine Tool Metalworking by Feirer and Tatro" (McGraw-Hill) the tail stock 'thingie" was referred to as a "spindle", so I take back my previous stand corrected reply.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote:I just read in a book, "Machine Tool Metalworking by Feirer and Tatro" (McGraw-Hill) the tail stock 'thingie" was referred to as a "spindle", so I take back my previous stand corrected reply.
Spindles rotate.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote:
Spindles rotate.
Who says??
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh heck, we know what is meant, except when someone says "my tailstock is bent". The ram/spindle/quill isn't bent. The feedscrew has gotten bent and then the ram/spindle/quill flops around. In a way "spindle" is correct because of how the work is rotated against inserted tooling it to same effect as if the ram/barrel was a spindle or quill or whatever.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
John Hasler wrote:
Spindles rotate.
Who says??
The women who invented them five or ten thousand years ago when they were developing spinning and weaving technology.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote:
John Hasler wrote:
Spindles rotate.
Who says??
The women who invented them five or ten thousand years ago when they were developing spinning and weaving technology.
The axles & transmissions I have worked on & rebuilt.....they have spindles, but none rotate.....
Zero of 'em.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.