Center drilling (More basic questions)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Center drilling (More basic questions)

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote:
Harold_V wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote:
The axles & transmissions I have worked on & rebuilt.....they have spindles, but none rotate.....
Zero of 'em.
Seems to be the same with rear wheel drive vehicles. The front has stationary spindles. At least all cars I've ever had do, and I've had my share (discounting the Cord, which is front wheel drive).

Harold
Just a matter of frame of reference. Hang on the wheel and watch the spindle spin.
A good, if irrational argument. But that's not what we're talking about, is it? The vast majority of us understand that the entire auto (and the world, on which it sits) isn't revolving around the wheel.

Sort of reminds me of those who don't have cats, yet they mount the toilet paper on the dispenser so it discharges from the rear, where it's awkward to grasp.

Shooting pool. Does one use the (plastic) triangle with the flange down, or up? Some folks seem to think it should be down, where it's less convenient to grasp, and the draft runs such that lifting narrows the opening (due to the included draft).
Certainly not a "right or wrong" thing---just shows that some folks have abstract logic.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote:just shows that some folks have abstract logic.

Harold
The best kind.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

John Hasler wrote:

Harold
The best kind.
Today we hear that as "Alternate Facts."
~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

NP317 wrote:
John Hasler wrote:

Harold
The best kind.
Today we hear that as "Alternate Facts."
~RN
That isn't logic at all. It's rhetoric (greek for bullshit).
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold said:
"Sort of reminds me of those who don't have cats, yet they mount the toilet paper on the dispenser so it discharges from the rear, where it's awkward to grasp. "

Truly the statement of a person with worldly experience!
:twisted: :D

~RN
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

This is getting to sound like a Monty Python skit.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron wrote:This is getting to sound like a Monty Python skit.
C: I wish to complain about this spindle what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

O: Oh yes, the, uh, the South Bend tailstock...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

C: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's bent, that's what's wrong with it!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote:Harold said:
"Sort of reminds me of those who don't have cats, yet they mount the toilet paper on the dispenser so it discharges from the rear, where it's awkward to grasp. "

Truly the statement of a person with worldly experience!
:twisted: :D

~RN
Heh! Yeah, but not with cats. My step dad (deceased) had no cats, but insisted the paper should be dispensed as I detailed, and for that reason. A strange fellow, this guy, who also believed Chianti to be a white wine. :?: :?: :?:

Sure of himself at every turn, never wrong, he was likely the originator of "alternate facts".
I always gave him credit for doing right by my mother, though.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:Sort of reminds me of those who don't have cats, yet they mount the toilet paper on the dispenser so it discharges from the rear, where it's awkward to grasp.
My toilet paper dispenser is the one built into the tile wall and it's from the 1950's, so not sized for today's large rolls. If you put the roll in "forwards", the roll jams when you pull on it, and for the first day, all you can get is one sheet at a time. If you put it in "backwards", when you pull, it pulls the roll forward and it comes out easily.

I've been threatening to make a "spindle" (let's not open that can of worms) with an offset shaft so that the roll can sit further out from the dispenser.

Mr Ron wrote:This is getting to sound like a Monty Python skit.
I'd like to buy some spindle oil.

Well, it's kind of runny.

That's OK, I like it runny.

Well, it's so runny, we've run out.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveM wrote:I've been threatening to make a "spindle" (let's not open that can of worms) with an offset shaft so that the roll can sit further out from the dispenser.
Could be a "mandrel", well, maybe an "arbor". :twisted:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

GlennW wrote:
SteveM wrote:I've been threatening to make a "spindle" (let's not open that can of worms) with an offset shaft so that the roll can sit further out from the dispenser.
Could be a "mandrel", well, maybe an "arbor". :twisted:
Axle?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Damn...hadn't considered that!

"Ram" or "quill" definitely wouldn't work. :)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!