Well, my motor exploded and I need a new one.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TheGreenMan

Well, my motor exploded and I need a new one.

Post by TheGreenMan »

I was working with my HF 8x12 lathe yesterday and *BOOOOM* the run capacitor blew up (literally).
Now I could try and just replace the run capacitor but I thought I'd take this chance to replace the motor entirely.
I was thinking of getting an AC 1HP 3 phase motor and a VFD to run it off 115v.
Two questions:
What is the frame type for the HF motor that is on the lathe right now? I'd rather not need to drill and tap new mounting holes or make up supports.
Do any of these combinations look good? I'm not sure if 1800 or 3600 RPM would be better.
http://dealerselectric.com/1-HP-1800-RP ... kage-4.asp
http://dealerselectric.com/1-HP-1800-RP ... ackage.asp
http://dealerselectric.com/1-HP-3600-RP ... kage-2.asp
http://dealerselectric.com/1-HP-3600-RP ... ackage.asp

Or is there something better out there withing about the same price range or less?

Thanks guys!
jcbrock

Re: Well, my motor exploded and I need a new one.

Post by jcbrock »

If the motor base is a standard NEMA frame size, you can measure it, then go to McMaster-Carr, search for motor bases, and then go to the "product detail" for similar-sized plates and they'll have a CAD drawing you can match up. If it matches, then you'll know the NEMA designation and can shop around. You want to speed-match if you care about the labeled speeds, hopefully the motor has a plate with the speed. You may not be able to avoid some kind of adapter plate between your new motor and the lathe, I did when I replaced my 13" SB's two-speed 125 lb monster. But it's a fun little project, right?
John Brock
spro

Post by spro »

The package is not a bad deal but maybe not for this.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

For a small machine like this, I wonder if a treadmill motor would be a good idea.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

1HP will tie that toy lathe into knots ! Fix what is on there now.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John, how about a gas engine from a lawn tractor?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

jcbrock wrote:If the motor base is a standard NEMA frame size, you can measure it, then go to McMaster-Carr, search for motor bases, and then go to the "product detail" for similar-sized plates and they'll have a CAD drawing you can match up. If it matches, then you'll know the NEMA designation and can shop around. You want to speed-match if you care about the labeled speeds, hopefully the motor has a plate with the speed. You may not be able to avoid some kind of adapter plate between your new motor and the lathe, I did when I replaced my 13" SB's two-speed 125 lb monster. But it's a fun little project, right?
I didn't think about MC. But sadly, like I have since read, the motor is basically completely non-standard. Even the drive shaft is an unusual size. Which means the pulley will need to be replaced too.
The motor is rated at 1750 RPM and 3/4 HP. Believe that as much as you want.

I need another project like I need another hole in the head. I really don't need more to do!
I was hoping there would be a somewhat easy way to upgrade. But mounting plate here I come! :-(
spro wrote:The package is not a bad deal but maybe not for this.
OK. Why? Any suggestions?
I was thinking staying with AC but I suppose even a DC setup would be ok. Not sure how the costs would match up for compared to the AC setup.
SteveHGraham wrote:For a small machine like this, I wonder if a treadmill motor would be a good idea.
I have seen where some have used this but I was hoping to use something else. And no treadmill motors are presenting themselves locally right now.
John Evans wrote:1HP will tie that toy lathe into knots ! Fix what is on there now.
It seems like most who convert to a VFD go either with 3/4 HP (matching the original) or 1 HP.
So any good 3/4 HP motor VFD combinations you can point me to?

I do have a Baldor 2.5 HP 3 phase motor attached to a blower on a 30 gallon tank I could trade to some one local for a motor or a VFD or both. It is a very robust motor. I just can't use it for anything and it is taking up valuable space.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Maybe fix the motor you've got and plan on replacing it later when you have more time? Make sure it was the run cap, though.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I remember back when I was fooling with a mini-lathe, the treadmill motor refit complete with variable speed controller was pretty much all the rage. Like John said, a 1hp motor would be WAY more than that little lathe can handle, and might lead to significant damage. My MUCH larger 11x37 Rockwell had a 1 HP motor, which was quite adequate (though I did consider an upgrade to 1.5 HP). And also, don't put any stock at all into whatever they rate that lathes motor at. I recall replacing a 1 HP chinese motor on my bandsaw with a real 1/2 HP motor that was probably 25% larger 50% heavier than the same speed OEM motor, which would be lucky to be rated 1/3 HP by any rational person. Look at amp ratings to get a better idea what to look for in a replacement.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

BadDog wrote: Look at amp ratings to get a better idea what to look for in a replacement.
The plate has it rated at 8.8 amps and 550 Watts. The plate doesn't actually list HP but the HF website does.

So no 1 HP motor. Would an actual 3/4 HP motor be too much for it or should I be looking at something more like a 1/2 HP motor?
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. A serious 1/2 Hp motor is more than enough. I have to remember the 'Shaper" head of the Bridgeport was powered by 1/3 Hp motor.
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

So it looks like either:
1. Replace the 35uF run capacitor, or
2. Get a decent 0.5 HP motor and VFD, like this combo: http://dealerselectric.com/-50-HP-1800- ... kage-3.asp

1 will be easiest and the best short term option.
2 will be the quite a bit more expensive ($200-$300) and probably my best long term option.

As I'd like to get back up and running right away without making adapter plates and rewiring things it looks like a $15 run capacitor from McMaster-Carr is in my future. Maybe in a few months (or when a capacitor blows again) I'll be getting a motor/VFD combo.

Thanks for the help you guys gave.