Well, my motor exploded and I need a new one.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Well, my motor exploded and I need a new one.

Post by NP317 »

TheGreenMan wrote:[snip]

As I'd like to get back up and running right away without making adapter plates and rewiring things it looks like a $15 run capacitor from McMaster-Carr is in my future. Maybe in a few months (or when a capacitor blows again) I'll be getting a motor/VFD combo.

Thanks for the help you guys gave.
The McMaster-Carr sourced run capacitor will probably be of superior quality than the original one.
Your problem may not repeat.
~RN
JonLeary

Post by JonLeary »

I have a grizzly 9729 combo. It blew the capacitors so I got new ones they blew also. The motor still works without them. It's been used for years without them and no problem. If it till runs just run it.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I have to disagree with one thing that a lot people are saying ... not to use a 1hp motor .keeping in mind that the lathe probably uses a 3L or smaller belt it isn't going to matter much what the motors rated power is .
The belt will only transmit so much power before slipping under proper tension .

Use whatever you can find that will fit without to much trouble and dont sweat it
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

stephenc wrote:I have to disagree with one thing that a lot people are saying ... not to use a 1hp motor .keeping in mind that the lathe probably uses a 3L or smaller belt it isn't going to matter much what the motors rated power is .
The belt will only transmit so much power before slipping under proper tension .

Use whatever you can find that will fit without to much trouble and dont sweat it
I agree that an oversize motor will do no harm.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm not entirely sure that is a safe assumption. Like putting a 20A breaker in to replace a 15A because that's what you have on hand and it's more convenient that getting the right rating. It will probably be just fine... until the day it's not.

I'm not sure I would want to trust the belt to be the fuse to prevent bad things from happening. But I don't know what his specific setup detail might happen to be, and even if I did I'm not an engineer to know all the potential variables and safety factors to consider.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

NP317 wrote:The McMaster-Carr sourced run capacitor will probably be of superior quality than the original one.
Your problem may not repeat.
~RN
I'm sure the MC one is better than the Chinese one. I picked up a 32.9-37.1 uF run capacitor. The original one was rated at 250V but as that doesn't apparently exist in the US and I didn't want to wait for one from China (and I get % off at MC through my work) so the one I picked up was a 370V rated one (the lowest rating they had in run capacitors).

I'm worried that the capacitor may be a symptom of a problem rather than a problem in and of itself. But time will tell.
stephenc wrote:I have to disagree with one thing that a lot people are saying ... not to use a 1hp motor .keeping in mind that the lathe probably uses a 3L or smaller belt it isn't going to matter much what the motors rated power is .

BadDog wrote:I'm not entirely sure that is a safe assumption. Like putting a 20A breaker in to replace a 15A because that's what you have on hand and it's more convenient that getting the right rating. It will probably be just fine... until the day it's not.

I'm not sure I would want to trust the belt to be the fuse to prevent bad things from happening. But I don't know what his specific setup detail might happen to be, and even if I did I'm not an engineer to know all the potential variables and safety factors to consider.
My setup is pretty much a bog standard Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe. The only difference is I added a 4 jaw chuck (and adapter plate) from LittleMachineShop.com and the previous owner added a quick change tool post. I think I'll stick with a 1/2 to 3/4 HP motor when it comes time to change the motor out for a VFD controlled one. I'm not usually dealing with large diameters or anything that would require a larger motor.

Or for that matter a larger machine. That is why I have my little "toy". I don't need a larger machine or have the space for one. If I get into working on rifle barrels or something that requires more length, etc. (and miraculously get more room) I'll get a larger one, but until then I am perfectly happy with my "toy".

Thanks guys again for the help you've given. If I ever get one of those VFD/motor combos and get it set up I'll post some pics.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would check Ebay and other sources before buying a cap from McMaster.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

SteveHGraham wrote:I would check Ebay and other sources before buying a cap from McMaster.
I already bought it and installed it on the motor and put the lathe back together last week. While I could have gotten the exact same capacitor on Ebay I figured anything from MC would be better and I would not have to wait for 2-6 weeks for it to arrive. Being in Ohio I get any MC order the next day. And the price is the same or better. The only difference (in rating) is that this one is rated for a higher voltage.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:I would check Ebay and other sources before buying a cap from McMaster.
I already bought it and installed it on the motor and put the lathe back together last week. While I could have gotten the exact same capacitor on Ebay I figured anything from MC would be better and I would not have to wait for 2-6 weeks for it to arrive. Being in Ohio I get any MC order the next day. And the price is the same or better. The only difference (in rating) is that this one is rated for a higher voltage.
Good choice!
McMaster normally doesn't have the best price, but they almost always have stock, and they don't sell anything that is even of questionable quality.
Hope they never change.
And....if something is wrong, including a shipping or shipping damage problem.....they fix it. Fast.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Capacitors aren't space shuttle engines. You don't need to search for a boutique manufacturer. Even if it were really important to get the very best, you can find any brand you want on Ebay.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Capacitors aren't space shuttle engines. You don't need to search for a boutique manufacturer. Even if it were really important to get the very best, you can find any brand you want on Ebay.
Advantage for McMaster, is 1: They got it 2: It's good quality (If all capacitors were created equal, they wouldn't always be blowing up on China made motors) 3: They ship the same day, and how you want them to
McMaster's preferred shipper is FedEx. FedEx doesn't work so well around here. I asked if they could change my account, to ship UPS. They did.

fleaBay: Some are good and some are horrid. May be in stock, and....maybe not. Until you work with a particular fleaBayer a few times, you don't have a clue. Ship same day...same thing....some do, most don't, like Amazon if you don't pay the extortion money for Prime, or Sears....

Point is, if you need one, of unquestionable quality, get it from McMaster Carr. Got some time to try out a new fleaBay vendor, that'll save you a buck, by all means, try 'em.
Wise when shopping to compare apples to apples.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You don't have to buy the bad ones, because they also have good ones.

If you insist on buying the bad ones, Ebay isn't the weak link in the chain.